Saturday, February 25, 2017

Literary Nails: Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby



Oh my gods, I actually have some nail art for you. Lol. Last year I really slacked in the bookish nail art department, so that's why this year I really want to post a little something at least once a month... so far so good! Crossing my fingers I keep this up, but knowing me, who knows! Lol.

This nail art was inspired by...

fight the fairies

Okay, I'm kidding ;) Though there are fairies involved...

Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby





I have actually tried nail art for this book in the past, but I conveniently couldn't find the pictures to prove it to you ;) Which is totally okay because that was years ago and they were pretty bad! Lol. I felt pretty good about this version though, so there you go :)




Things didn't go easier this second time around though, because I had to redo 4 nails like three times! First, I didn't like the stamping I did on three of my nails so I redid them. And second, I kept messing them up, knocking my still wet nail on the table and just... I was being clumsy, okay? Lol. But after two days, I finally said, "That's it. I'm done."

Here are the things I used for my three nude nails with the purple holographic stamping that was supposed to imitate the model on cover's leggings:



Base Coat: UNT - Ready for Takeoff (Peel Off Base Coat)
Nude Base Color: Wet n Wild Megalast - Sugar Coat (drug store polish)
Purple Stamping Polish: Powder Perfect - Widow's Watch
Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat (drug store polish)
Bliss Kiss's Simply Peel Latex Barrier (to protect my skin from the stamping mess)
Stamping Plate: Geo-Licious Plate (CjS-28) - I used the second image on the second row:

Geo-Licious Plate (CjS-28)
Image from Clear Jelly Stamper




I did two accent nails: on my ring finger the sword, and on my thumb the butterfly/fairy! For the "sword," I first did one coat of white polish, then a white to blue gradient with a holographic top coat. After that I used a triangle nail vinyl to get the shape I wanted for the sword.

Nail vinyls from TwinkledT

I was going to used some silver nail foil for the sword itself... but I haven't used it very much, and therefore, turned out like crap. Lol. So instead I used some mirror chrome powder over black polish and a gel top coat (because these powders work better over gel). And since regular top coat ruins the chrome finish, I applied a water-based top coat before applying regular top coat. I could've used the gel top coat... but I don't like it. Lol. I only used it under the chrome powder because it goes on better that way. And yes, I did mix regular polish with gel polish. As long as you let the regular polish completely dry, it's okay to use gel polish over top!



Base Coat: UNT - Ready for Takeoff (Peel Off Base Coat)
White Gradient Color: Sinful Colors - Snow Me White (drug store polish)
Blue Gradient Color: Bundle Monster - Astronomical
Holographic Top Coat: INM - Northern Lights (can be found at Sally's)
Bliss Kiss's Simply Peel Latex Barrier (to protect my skin from the gradient mess)
Black Base for Powder: Sinful Colors - Black on Black (drug store polish)
Gel Top Coat: Bundle Monster - Top Gel
Mirror Chrome Powder: TwinkledT - House of Mirrors
Water-Based Top Coat: Little Ondine - Secret
Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat (drug store polish)




And lastly, the accent nail on my thumb! I actually wanted to do a fairy or some super creepy creature that resembled the giant fairy described in the book, but I didn't have anything like it in my collection and there was no way in hell I was going to freehand sh*t. Lol. I'm not that artistic ;) So I settled for a pretty butterfly, like on the cover.



Again, for this one I did a white to blue gradient with a holo top coat. Then I stamped a pink butterfly with purple accents. I originally wanted to use the same purple polish for the butterfly accents and the purple stamping on my nude nails, but this was the one nails I didn't have to redo because it came out great on the first try! And the purple polish I used on this nail wasn't as opaque as I wanted it to be for the stamping on my other three nails, so I had to switch it out. Here are the things I used for this one:



Base Coat: UNT - Ready for Takeoff (Peel Off Base Coat)
White Gradient Color: Sinful Colors - Snow Me White (drug store polish)
Blue Gradient Color: Bundle Monster - Astronomical
Holographic Top Coat: INM - Northern Lights (can be found at Sally's)
Pink Stamping Polish for Butterfly: Bundle Monster - Rose Garden
Purple Butterfly Accent: Sinful Colors - Sleigh Me (drug store polish)
Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat (drug store polish)
Bliss Kiss's Simply Peel Latex Barrier (to protect my skin from the gradient mess)
Stamping Plate: Love Elements Collection - #6 (46-49)
I used the second butterfly image on the middle row:

Image from PUEEN


Okay, that's it 'cause this post is getting ridiculously long. Lol. So, what do you think? Did I nail it?

so funny

Get it... 'cause nail...

shut up I'm hilarious

Kidding ;) Anyway, if you haven't read Fairy Bad Day, I highly recommend you do! It's fantastic! And if you have any book inspired nail art ideas, don't hesitate to let me know! I'm always looking for new ideas to try out!

4 comments:

  1. These are super cute! Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhh, The most elegant polish nails I've ever seen. :33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there's a lot of time & effort that goes into nail art! You rock it! Loved several of your nail art pics I wandered thru, loved the one with all the books, and this one is pretty spot on too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Super complicated. Even if you "don't freehand sh*t", the work that you do is incredible.

    ReplyDelete