Saturday, March 7, 2015

Literary Nails: Fins Series by Tera Lynn Childs


It's time for your regularly scheduled Book-Inspired Nail Art ;) (Sorry for the missed post two weeks ago! But I had nothing to share, until now...)

This week's bookish nail art was inspired by...

Fin Series by Tera Lynn Childs



This nail design actually came about out of an experiment.I wanted to use this loose glitter I had gotten a while ago but I had no idea how!

At the moment I was currently re-reading Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs and I just absolutely loved the cover so I decided to use the covers of the series as inspiration! From there I just grabbed green and blue polishes and the loose glitter and sat down to paint my nails. I really had no idea what I was doing, but I just kind of went with it.

First I painted all of my nails white, to start off with a blank canvas. Then I took a makeup sponge (I bought a whole pack of makeup sponges just for nail art... I don't even wear foundation! Lol) and painted four stripes of color: lime green, a duller green, light blue-ish, and teal.



I sponged two coats of that onto my white nails (doing this on white nail polish makes the colors on top really pop!) and then I moved onto the glitter. After the green-to-blue gradient was done, I added a clear top coat on top of that and added the glitter onto my nails.



I had 3 colors of glitter I wanted to use: green, light blue, and dark blue. So I decided to add the glitter and a sort of gradient as well, to match the polish underneath. And believe it or not, I added each little glitter individually with a toothpick! Yes it took a while, and yes there
was probably an easier way to do it , but I just went with this.



And I am very happy with how it turned out! It is just SO pretty and glittery and does that not look like fish scales?? Totally what I was going for! Very mermaid-esque!

What I used:



Base color: SinfulColors Snow Me White

Gradient (Green to Blue): L.A. Colors Color Craze in lime green, SinfulColors Innocent, Wet n' Wild Megalast I Need a Refresh-Mint, Maybelline Color Show Shocking Seas

"Glue" for the Glitter: SinfulColors Clear Coat

Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Loose Glitter: Green, light blue, dark blue


Bonus



This little design started off as just a swatch of that red color that had me so intrigued. But if you know me at all, you know that the plain red didn't last long, lol. I don't usually wear just one color on my nails, like, ever, so for this one I decided to add a little gold french tip sort of design. And I actually didn't add a top coat to this one because the red dried matte! I don't know what it is about the polishes I got the other day, but they all seem to dry matte. Not that I'm complaining. I liked it so I decided it to leave it as is after I added the gold (also, I was lazy, but that's beside the point ;)).


So, what do you think? Did I nail it? ;)

If you're participating in the Mythology Reading Challenge, this series has a basis on Greek mythology! I'm currently reading the second book in the series, Fins Are Forever, and it is a lot of fun! I really recommend this series!

As always, let me know in the comments below if you have any suggestions for future posts!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow Lili! You've done such a brilliant job with those! Matches the book so well and the blue and green look so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fish scale fin nails! They came out great, I love nail art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove how the glitter looks like scales! That's too awesome! Although I would not have the patience to place each piece by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and really like all of them. I have my nails done every two weeks and love to change up some times!!!

    ReplyDelete