Thursday, August 7, 2014

Bookish Discussion: Instalove... InstaNO or InstaYES


Hey guys! So, um, this post was actually supposed to go up this past Saturday but, um... it didn't, lol. I was a little bit busier than I thought this past weekend. Anyway, this next discussion is about instalove in a book.

I read :)

Me? I don't like it.

No one likes the Cupid handshake ;) | Supernatural - My Bloody Valentine 5x14
Well, I wouldn't say "No one," Cas ;)

What bothers me about this is, "Oh my gods, you are so hot! I am physically attracted to you, so I think I love you!" Ummmm, no. Okay, I don't really mind insta-attraction, but insta-love? Just no! I mean, you can't possibly love someone you just met!

Ummm, NO!

Do I believe someone can fall in love in the span of days to weeks?

SPNG Tags: Sam / Sturgeon face / Dean / Sturgeon face / ALL THE STURGEON FACES
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.

Sure. But you just said you hated instalove! I did say that. But I think it depends on each individual book and whether it's done correctly. I mean, as long as the characters really have a deep connection, I truly believe that the initial stages of love can be developed in a short amount of time. But come on! None of that, "I'm so attracted to you! I love you!" crap! I just don't get it...

SPNG Tags: Dean / Confused / scratching head
A special thanks to smittenginger for submitting this!
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.
I don't get it...

...and honestly it just seem very unrealistic to me to love someone you don't even know yet. Give me a reason to believe these two characters love each other... besides the physical attraction. What I really like is the slow build, seeing the relationship bloom as the two characters get to know each other on the deepest levels.

That being said, instalove, most often than not, will be an "ugh!" and eye roll fest that will just not do it for me.

` Dean rolls his eyes

And I admit, if, before I start reading, I see that the book has instalove going on, I will probably stay away from it to spare me the eye roll fest, lol. There are some instances where I'll make an exception, like in the case of reincarnation, which I totally get. But exceptions don't happen too often.

Jared chasing Jensen (gag reel) gif
Nice try, instalove! But, STAY AWAY FROM ME!

What do you think? Do you like/dislike instalove, or do you plainly not care as long as the book is good? I guess I'm just kinda picky, lol. Let me know in the comments below, or feel free to link me up to a post you've done yourself! :)

P.S. I know I went overboard with the Supernatural gifs on this one, but I couldn't find any good instalove gifs! So naturally I had to go with Supernatural by default ;) lol

10 comments:

  1. Instatrraction - yes. Instalove -no. Don't go out of my way to avoid it. I just eye roll, like you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like instalove but I don't really mind it either... I would prefer a more developed relationship but I understand that sometimes authors use intalove to get on with the rest of the plot faster... not that it works or is a good thing. So, just, eh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Developed relationships is what I like, though I dont really know if instalove just for the sake of moving the plot forward is the way to go, as you said.

      Delete
  3. Definitely think insta-attraction is a thing, but then it needs to develop further as the characters get to know each other. The whole "I just met you and I will love you forever" thing is just a little eye-rolling!
    Great topic!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad I am not the only one who just rolls their eyes at this! lol
      And I agree with you! I am totally okay with insta-attraction!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I HATE insta-love!! Insta-lust is not that bad in my opinion but insta-love ugh ugh ugh. I'm glad many authors get that now and there are less books with that element in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it looks like you hate it as much as I do! *high five* ;D
      Yeah, I haven't read TOO many books with insta-love lately, so yay!

      Delete
  5. Ha! Yes! Exactly! It's not always necessarily about the amount of time between when the characters meet and they fall in love - it's about the connection that is built up between them during that time. Characters, listen - whether it's three days or three weeks if you've had three conversations with him, but you are SO connected to him because he's really hot, you're NOT in love! Makes me crazy!!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You totally get me! lol. For me it's definitely all about the connection. Sometimes that connection is skipped all together, and it just bugs me!! Just, NO!

      Delete