Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bookish Discussion: Love Triangles


[WARNING: Your brain will be bombarded with awesome Supernatural gifs... again ;)]

Two weeks ago we talked about instalove and how much I did not like it. Continuing on with the theme of love, this week we'll be talking about Love Triangles!


And guess what, I hate triangles of the love variety! They're just one of those things that irk me in a book. I mean, I suppose this could happen to someone somewhere, but this, too, seems very unrealistic to me. Gods, I'm having a hard time finding The One, let alone TWO guys! However, I do have high standards due to all the amazing book boyfriends out there... but that's a conversation for another time ;)

Love triangles... Yes! This! except I don't even have a cat! :(

Another thing about love triangles is that things might not turn out how I like! Call me selfish, but I have invested my time and FEELS (and probably money) into this book! I want to love it and want it to have a happy ending!


Here are a couple scenarios that I have come across most often in books to help you better understand how I feel about these evil geometric shapes of love:

Scenario #1: One girl (our MC), two hot-mazing guys that I totally love, and the MC will have to choose between the two.

The Outcome: MC chooses ONE guy, but I love both :)

My Reaction: YAY! But what about the other guy who I also love a lot?! :(

SPNG Tags: Dean Winchester / YES / Happy Dancing and Flailing / Excited /
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.
SPNG Tags: Dean Winchester / I don’t know what my feelings are doing/ SO MANY FEELINGS
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.

Scenario #2: One girl (our MC), two guys--One I absolutely adore, and one I despise.

Outcome #1: MC chooses the guy I like!

My Reaction: YES! :D All is happy-happy!

SPNG Tags: Jared / Sam / YES / Just not to Lucifer, k? / 
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down. [gif] 4x10 The Curious Case of Dean Winchester - Dean doing the Newsies jump and heel click... this made me giggle

Outcome #2: MC chooses the guy I did NOT like...

My Reaction: What?! NO! What happens to to the guy I liked?? Boooo!!

Hehehe

SPNG Tags: Dean Winchester / Thinking / Thinking / Angry
REALLY?!
#supernatural #gif #castiel

I was going to give you guys some example of love triangles, specifically with Rachel Vincent books in mind, but I decided not to as to avoid evil spoilers... that is also a conversation for another time ;) Well, I'll say this: Rachel's Soul Screamers series has one of the most flawless, well done love triangle I have ever seen! I actually really liked it!! :D

I hate love triangles, but I don't stay away from books that have them. I'll read the book, but I can't say I'll love the love triangle. I guess it just depends on each individual book and whether it was well done and actually necessary.

Pointless love triangle...

What are your thoughts? Are you for or against? Do you like them or honestly don't care for them? Tell me about some of your favorite love triangles or some that you absolutely did not like! Let me know in the comments below, or feel free to link me up to a post you've done yourself! :)

8 comments:

  1. I am a total love triangle wimp. Breaks my heart if my pick gets kicked to the curb. The "evil geometric shapes of love" designation cracks me up!. Makes me thankful I've never come across a love trapezoid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :) And OH MY GODS! Love trapezoid... I think I JUST came across one of those (though I called it a love square, LOL) and so NOT cool!

      Delete
  2. What I like is that I kinda have a superpower regarding love-triangles. XD I was NEVER wrong for who the MC chooses at the end, so I kinda don't mind them. Of course, I think some are sucky anyway but in my opinion they keep the romance spiccy in a story. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's some superpower! I would probably mind them less if I had your superpower, LOL. Well, I'm glad they don't irk you as much as me and you can enjoy the romance :)

      Delete
  3. I really hate it when BOTH the guys are amazing and the MC chooses only one. If she's going to have to choose, why don't you make ONE guy not-so-amazing? Some suck a lot, but some keep the story interesting so I think it all depends on how it is executed. Great post! :D

    -Naban @ The Literary Oracle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Make on guy not amazing and have her choose that guy who totally is... problem solved! I like the way you think ;)

      And I totally agree that it depends on each individual story. Like I said, there are some I don't actually mind, which is a very rare thing, but they have to be done right!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Naban. Make one less perfect for her, but have him sort of distract her from the other. There have been books that I've read where this happens. The bad boy rebel distracts MC good girl from perfect soulmate boyfriend. Either way, I understand the frustration of love triangles, specially when it's insta love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read many books like this as well! But yeah, they can be frustrating sometimes. Oh and don't even get me started on instalove! ;) lol

      Delete