Tuesday, December 6, 2022

3 Bookish Things I Learned About Myself in 2022


So, today is my birthday and I thought it would be very appropriate to talk about some things I learned about myself this year. Bookish things, of course 😉 It was very interesting because as the year went on I kept coming upon all these little things that made me go, "Oh! I think I like this?" I thought it was kinda funny because these things I found I liked, were really specific, super niche genres 😆


I Like Cozy Mysteries Set in Space 🚀

 

I love mystery thrillers, we know this, but I actually don't read a lot of cozy mysteries. I do love a mystery in any setting, though, and I have read a cozy mystery here and there. But one thing I did not know was a thing was cozy mysteries set in space. And I especially did not realize I needed them in my life! 😆 I found the Space Janitor series Fall of 2021, and since then I have been binge reading Julia Huni's books because they are just so much fun! The main character, Triana, is always stumbling upon dead bodies and mysteries and somehow ends up solving them. These books are just light and fun and they're set in freaking space!! Or other planets, but I digress. Lol. I am currently caught up on the Space Janitor/Tales of the Former Space Janitor series, but I am keeping my eye out for more sci-fi books that may be cozy mysteries.


I Like Nonfiction Books About Horror Movies 😈

  

Nonfiction books are a rare read for me. I used to read only one a year, mostly ones of the Japanese language learning variety, but this year I found some nonfiction books I also did not know I needed in my life: nonfiction books about horror movies! I love horror movies, but it never occurred to me to read nonfiction books about them until I randomly stumbled upon How to Survive a Horror Movie. I thought it sounded silly and fun, and it was! I loved it!! Like I said, I love horror movies, but I even I have to admit that they have some pretty dumb characters. I'm not the only one who yells at characters in a movie to not open that door, right? 😆 Anyway, that's why this book was appealing to me. And I'm so glad I gave it a shot!

And then not too long after I read that, I saw an ARC of Nightmare Fuel on Netgalley and I was immediately intrigued because another thing I love is science. And this book talked about what happens to the body when we consume horror and reasons why we like being scared. It was just SO interesting! I loved it! And since then, I have been hooked! I've added a couple more nonfiction horror books to my TBR and I'm excited to have found this super niche genre that I love 😆 But I also think I'm going to branch out and try and read other nonfictions books about subjects I like. But we'll see.


I Like Contemporaries 😱 But with Time Loops, Apparently 😆

 

Another genre I don't read a lot of is contemporary. Just like nonfiction, I used to only read one contemporary romance a year, but lately I've been reading more! This year I discovered that not only do I actually like contemporaries 😱 Shocking, I know (though I do have to be in a very specific mood to want to read them), but I apparently like contemporaries with time loops because I read TWO this year 😂 And I really enjoyed them! (Of the two I read, The Do-Over was definitely my favorite! It was so freaking cute!!) To be fair, I think I just like the time loop trope in general, and I tend to like contemporaries that have a little twist to them, kinda like this. But anyway! I like contemporaries!! I am surprised! Lol.


I'm not doing anything exciting for my birthday since it's Tuesday and I have work (and I'm also an introvert who doesn't like to go out 😆) But talking about books, and especially about bookish things I learned about myself, was fun!

Let me know if you've learned anything bookish about yourself this year!

6 comments:

  1. Cozy mysteries set in space...huh. That sound interesting. Then again everything in space sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday!! This is such a fun post, I love it. I need to read more time-loop stories, I loved See You Yesterday. Adding The Do-Over to my TBR, thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes! The Do-Over was so much fun! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Now, I consider time-loop books as my sci-fi reading (that's the closest I will get). I adored both those books, and I thought Solomon, in particular, did a nice job with the loop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun! Yeah, the time loop in See You Yesterday was really well done!

      Delete