Thursday, February 2, 2017

DNF Reviews: Book of Shadows (Sweep #1) by Cate Tiernan + Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)
Title: Book of Shadows

Series: Sweep #1

Author: Cate Tiernan

Publication date: March 2007

Published by: Speak

Source: Borrowed

Add it to your Goodreads shelf

Synopsis:

Morgan and her best friend, Bree, are introduced to Wicca when a gorgeous senior named Cal invites them to join his new coven. Morgan falls for Cal immediately and discovers that she has strong, inexplicable powers.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

For some reason I don't remember this book keeping my attention, so I never finished it... that and because I was borrowing it from my friend who had checked it out of the library and it was due soon, lol.


I think I might pick up this book again though, because WITCHES! I love anything witchy and magical and I feel like this book deserves my complete attention.


Haunted
Title: Haunted

Author: Chuck Palahniuk

Publication date: April 2006

Published by: Anchor

Source: Library Book

Add it to your Goodreads shelf

Synopsis:

Haunted is a novel made up of stories: twenty-three of the most horrifying, hilarious, mind-blowing, stomach-churning tales you'll ever encounter.

The stories are told by people who have all answered an ad headlined 'Artists Retreat: Abandon your life for three months'. They are led to believe that here they will leave behind all the distractions of 'real life' that are keeping them from creating the masterpiece that is in them.

But 'here' turns out to be a cavernous and ornate old theater where they are utterly isolated from the outside world - and where heat and power and, most importantly, food are in increasingly short supply. And the more desperate the circumstances become, the more desperate the stories they tell - and the more devious their machinations to make themselves the hero of the inevitable play/movie/non-fiction blockbuster that will certainly be made from their plight.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

I’m all for horror--you know I love a good scare! Movies, books... I love it all! I was very excited to read this book and the many stories it contained inside, but I just couldn’t finish it. I think the first story traumatized me, lol. It was awful. Guys, I read this seven years ago and still every time I think about it I feel sick. It was gruesome--just disgusting!

Eww, gross! LOL - 5x11 Sam, Interrupted

It certainly made an impact on me, but definitely not in a good way. This is not the type of "horror" I like!!!

no_no_dean.gif (245×166)

Maybe I'll finish the book... eventually. And skip over the first story. Maybe...


Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? If not, what do you think? Does it sound like something you might want to read? Leave me a link to your review or comment below! :)

1 comment:

  1. Chuck Palahniuk seems to be one of those authors you either love or hate, I love him but I get why his writing really isn't for everyone.

    ReplyDelete