Saturday, June 29, 2024

2024 Mid-Year Check In: Reading Stats


The way I am always excited to look at reading stats because I love numbers and graphs 🤓😂



What's surprising about this graph this year is that I have not read any short stories or novellas. I have read a couple of books that were on the shorter side, but not short enough to be considered a novella. Another shocking thing: manga! It's been a minute since I read a manga, but I'm glad to be back reading them.


Still on those re-reads. Lol. This chart is pretty similar to what it was last year, except this year I've re-read 2 LESS books (so far, anyway 😏).


My reading this year has been a little bit more consistent, and I think that is thanks to the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge where I have to read at least one book a week.


However, if we take a closer look at the page count for each month, you'll notice a very sharp drop from May to June. That, my friends, is what I call a reading slump 😭 Yes, I still read '6 books,' but they mostly consisted of graphic novels and manga and just shorter books in general. I guess that's all my brain could take while in a slump. And I feel like I'm still kinda there 😭 Hopefully I'll get out of it soon because I have so many full-length books I want to read!


This one is pretty different from last year. Last year I didn't read any books in the 500-page range, I read one book with a page count in the 600s, two with a page count in the 700s, plus a ton that were under 100 pages. This year I have not read any novellas, but I have read a ton of longer books in the 500-page range. I have been reading a lot more high fantasies than usual though, so that makes sense. I'll be curious to see if I'll read any longer books, longer than 500 pages since I read three of them last year.


This one is pretty similar to last year, though I've read a little more finished copies and a little less ARCs.


This one basically flip-flopped because last year I had read significantly more digital books than physical. And this year I have listened to one audiobook, while last year I didn't listen to any, which is pretty normal for me (my mind wanders, hence the ebook/audio combo 😂).


This one is also very different from last year! My two biggest sources remain books I bought myself, and books I got from the library. But this year I have read significantly more library books! Like, almost double the amount I read last year 😂 I would be broke without them. Lol.


This one also flipped from the one from last year, which is not good for me and the books I previously owned 😅 This year I have read more books that I purchased/got from the library in 2024, and I have read fewer books that I got before 2024. Sigh. Lol.


This one is interesting. As you can see, I love my series, but this year I have read double the amount of standalone than I did last year at this time! That's crazy!


This one always looks like this 😭 Though this year is worse because last year at this time I had only started 5 series 🤦‍♀️ I can't help it, okay? Lol.


The way this chart looks makes me happy 😊 This year I have read more 4-star books and fewer 3-star books compared to last year! Although this year I do have that one 2-star book that I don't want to talk about 😒 And one DNF, which is the same number of DNFs I had last year.


This one is also a little different because I have read fewer books published in the 2020s, and a whole lot more published in the 2010s!


Another different-looking chart. Last year of the books I read, about 25% of them were from indie authors. This year it's quite less.


This one is also a little bit different in that I have read a little bit less books be male authors. Not even those Fear Street books are helping (so far lol).


This year I have doubled the amount of books I have read by a POC author, which is great... but that number is absolutely not 🤦‍♀️😂 Every year I say I need to do better at reading books by POC authors, and every year I fail because my mood is in charge around here 🙄😂


However, this year I have read 4 more new-to-me authors than I did last year!


This is another chart that is also very different from the one from last year. This year I have read significantly more books with a male/female combo POV.


This one is also different and also very strange for me. I typically read more single POV books, but this year I have read more with a multiple POV.


This one is also drastically different. The books I usually read tend to be in first person, but this year almost half of the books I read were in third person! That is crazy for me! Although, again, I have read a lot of fantasy books this year, and I feel like third person multiple POV is pretty common in those.


Another different one! This one is different because last year I didn't read any middle grade books, but this year I have been revisiting the Percy Jackson world (and having a great time!)


This year I have read 2 more nonfiction books than I did last year, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I don't read very many nonfiction books in a year, so this is pretty big for me.


And my favorite graph to look at every time is the one with genres! The way this graph is so different from my norm is crazy!! Last year at the end of the year I was looking through some of those 'my year in books' sites, and one of them in particular stated that my reading was eclectic, which I never considered my reading to be. But this year I decided to embrace it! My usual top genres are urban fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and mystery thriller. Horror and UF are still up there (as they should be 😆), but that one that really snuck up there is high fantasy 😮 That is incredibly surprising because I used to only read maybe one high fantasy book a year... and now there's EIGHT so far this year?! Another genre that surprised me is contemporary romance. Three is not a big number objectively, but for me it is! This is another genre I used to only read 1 book a year from, and I've read 3 so far! And it's only June! That's crazy! And one genre that is completely new to me this year: memoirs. This is eclectic for sure, and I don't hate it. Lol. I am very curious to see what this graph will look like at the end of the year.


Let me know how your reading is going so far this year!

1 comment: