Friday, March 12, 2021

Dewey's Pre-Readathon Challenge: Dewey's Board Game


The next Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon will take place on April 24th, and they just posted a pre-readathon challenge that looks like a lot of fun! I've done the readathon once before and it actually wasn't a complete fail, so I'm planning on participating again. I do bookish bingo ALL the time, but I've never done a bookish board game before and I'm honestly surprised because it looks awesome! I am so excited to try it! This challenge runs from now up until the readathon starts on April 24th. (I saw all this on Twitter, so you can check out the info there!)


So here is the board game...


My progress as of March 12th:

From Start I rolled a 4 and landed on Read Your Favorite Genre. One of my favorite genres is mystery/thriller, so I read Blind Date!


When I finished that I rolled a 2 and landed on Roll Again. Then I rolled a 6 and got Oops! Back to Start 😂 After THAT I roller a 2 and got Read for 1 Hour, so I started First Date. After my 1 hour was up I rolled a 1 and landed on Read Any Book, so I finished First Date.


After that I rolled a 2 and landed on the one square I dreaded most: Read a Contemporary 😳 Guys, I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary, but I got the new Marissa Meyer book Instant Karma, and I think that's contemporary enough so that's what I'm gonna go with. Lol. And that's where I am on the morning of March 12th. I'm not sure when I'll finish Instant Karma... it might be this weekend, it might be next week, but I'll update this post with my progress once I'm finished. And apparently I decided to go with Hard Mode, so we'll see how that goes 😅



March 22nd update:

So I finished my contemporary book and I really loved it! It was just so cute and fun and I was grinning throughout the whole thing!


So after I finished that I rolled a 1 and landed on Roll Again. So I rolled again and got a 3 and landed on... Sorry! Go Back! Meaning I have landed on Read a Contemporary AGAIN! 😩


I don't know whether to laugh or cry because just... HOW? 😭 Contemporary is one of my least favorite genres, yet here I am landing on that square TWO times in a row! 😂 Granted, I really enjoyed Instant Karma, but still. This is crazy! I think the universe hates me... which is particularly hilarious after having read a book called Instant Karma 🤣 Oh and I've even numbered my moves so you can enjoy my slow descent into madness. Let's just hope I don't land on Contemporary again after this cause I swear... I'm gonna lose it! 🙃

That being said, I have picked out my next contemporary, which I am kinda looking forward to, surprisingly. I think I'm going to enjoy it, but I'll let you know!


March 24th update:

I'm out of the Contemporary loop!! YES! 😅 Anyway, for my second contemporary I read Dating Makes Perfect.


It was really sweet and I enjoyed the banter between the characters and all the awkwardness that comes with first loves. Lol. I didn't love it as much as I did Instant Karma, but I still really enjoyed it! Luckily, I don't have to read any more contemporaries... phew! Lol. So after finishing that, I rolled a 5 and landed on Read a Short Story. For this, I ended up reading COVID-128 which takes place in The Lunar Chronicles world. It basically takes a look at the characters and what they would be doing during quarantine, and I really enjoyed. I've missed these characters, so it was nice to revisit them 🖤


So after visiting the gang on the Rampion, I rolled again, got a 6, and landed on Read for 2 Hours. And that is where I'm at right now. I haven't picked out my next book yet, so I'm gonna go and take a look at my never ending TBR pile 😅



March 27th update:

R.L. Stine books are pretty short, so I read The Boyfriend for the Read for 2 Hours square.


After that I rolled a 3 and landed on Listen to an Audiobook. Sigh. This was another square I was dreading because I have absolutely no interest in audiobooks... unless they are the Tales from the Gas Station books narrated by MrCreepyPasta... And I already read/listened to the latest book last month 😬😂 But after browsing the audiobooks at my library I settled on...


I have not been studying my Japanese lately and I am hoping this will help get me back to it. I am listening to this on my commute to and from work, and so far it's fine. I would definitely prefer to have a physical copy to read, but at the same time, I already know a lot of the stuff that is being covered... so far, at least. So it's a refresher for now. We'll see how I end up liking this though.



April 3rd update:

SO I finished my Japanese audiobook and it was fine. Like I had said, it was mostly a refresher, though there were some things in there that I had not studied yet. Unfortunately, I don't think those things have stuck with me 😅 This is definitely a book you would need to study a couple times, not just listen to once. On top of that, I'm more of a visual learner soooo yeahhh. Anyway, I'm gonna stick to my physical books and apps to study Japanese 😅

After I finished that, I rolled a 3 and landed on Read a Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Finally! Something I'm looking forward to. Lol. I started The Red Scrolls of Magic last week so I think that's gonna be my book for this square. I'm only like 60 pages in so far but I already love it! 😍


And that's where I'm at right now. All these books I've been reading lately have been exclusively for this board game, and honestly, as a mood reader, I am feeling the burnout setting in 😬 So I am going to take it easy because there's still like a month left to finish the board game and I'm pretty much at the end.



April 22nd update:

I finished The Red Scrolls of Magic and I loved it of course! It was just a lot of fun and I just love Malec! 🥰

So after that, I rolled a 4 and landed on Read a Nonfiction Book. For that I went with a cookbook! I love this one! Ro's recipes have not failed me yet! Lol.


After that I rolled another 4 and landed on End! Read 500 pages! I'm there! I made it to the end! I actually don't know if I'll be able to read all 500 pages before the challenge is over, but I'll try. Lol. And I actually haven't even picked out my next book yet, but wish me luck! 😅



Let me know if you'll be doing the readathon and the challenge! This is the first time I participate in a challenge, but so far it's been fun!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right? I haven't done something like this before, surprisingly, but I'm having fun!

      Delete
  2. I love Dewey’s! I can’t participate this time because have to work on the 24. Booo, work. I started the board game, but then I got distracted. I should go back to it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Well at least there's the board game. I've been really enjoying it!

      Delete