Sunday, July 4, 2021

Mid-Year Check In: Reading Stats


One of my favorite things to do at the end of the year is look at my reading stats. I have never done this before, but I thought that this year I'd take a look at those stats halfway through the year! I am excited. Lol. I wont have anything to compare these numbers to since I didn't do this at the halfway point last year, but I think I'll compare them to the overall stats from last year and see how I'm doing so far.



Last year I read 52 books, so at this point in the year, I'm well over the 50% mark on those numbers! I've also already read 3 more novellas this year than I did last year.


Last year I only re-read 1 book, so I am doing pretty good on the re-read department so far this year! (All were Jennifer Estep books, btw 😅)


Last year my stats looked like this: Jan 10, Feb 15, Mar 3, Apr 6, May 3, June 3. I had started the year on quite the high note and then completely dropped off. This year is the opposite! I started off with lower numbers, and they have gone up and stayed steadily up there since then! So far so good, I think.


I'm not sure what's going on with those dips there. Lol. It might be because in both April and June I had a bit of time off of work and I just didn't read as much as I did other things 🤷‍♀️


Last year this graph looked a lot more staircase-y. Lol. It was definitely because all those Fear Street books tend to be in the 100-200 page range. So far this year though, I've already read 4 more 300 page books than I did last year! Also, last year, the longest book I read was somewhere in the 600 page range. This year though, I read Queen of Air and Darkness, and that bad boy is well into the 800 page range!


So far this pie chart is pretty much the same as it was for the entirety of last year! However, while last year I read 5 ARCs the entire year, so far this year I have read 4!


Last year, this is what my big three looked like: Kindle 33%, paperback 44%, hardcover 19%. So hardcover and Kindle are pretty similar so far this year, however, I have read significantly less paperbacks so far this year!


This graph is pretty much the same as it was this last year. Most of the books I read are ones I've bought myself.


And this one is also pretty similar to the one from last year. So far I've only read half as many standalones as I did in 2020 though.


Sigh. This graph is going to be the death of me. Lol. Last year I started 11 series and finished 9... And I can't promise that I won't be starting anymore series this year 😅


This graph is already making me happy. Last year I read a total of 14 5-star books... and that's it! So I'm already winning there! Lol. Last year I also read 18 4-star books and 18 3-star books... so there was a lot of mediocrity in there. However, last year I didn't read any 1-star books, and this year I already have 1. But, overall, I am so happy that I am reading better books this year!


This one is looking pretty similar to the one from last year so far. However, I have read 4 more books published in the 2020s this year than I did last! I've also read significantly less 90s books this year, and last year I didn't read any books published in the 80s.


This one is also pretty much the same.


This pie chart is looking REAL different! For the last couple of years this has been pretty much split down the middle. But not so far this year! To be fair, I haven't been reading as many Fear Street book, so that's definitely been affecting these graphs.


This one is also a little bit different. Last year I only read 3 books by POC authors. This year I wanted to read more, and so far I have only read 2. However, I have also read 1 book by multiple authors, one of which was POC and the other was not. As my mood allows, I am going to try and read more books by POC authors! (Me and my finicky mood, ugh. Lol.)


This one is also fairly similar to last years, except that this year I've read 1 book by two authors, one who I've previously read and one who I have not.


More of the same! The books I read are always typically female-centric.


Again, this one is also similar to last year. Except this year, so far, I've read slightly more multiple POV books.


This one is looking drastically different so far. Last year I read nearly an equal amount of 1st person and 3rd person POV, but this year 1st person is winning.


Here's another one that is looking very different as well. This year I have not read any New Adult or Middle Grade, while last year I read 2 and 1 respectively of each. Also, this year I've already read 5 more Adult books than I did last year! The one thing that hasn't changed is that YA remains my most read. Lol.


And for this last graph, it's also looking quite different! Last year my top two most read genres that were actually tied for first place were mystery/thriller and horror! Followed closely by urban fantasy! So far this year things have flip-flopped and UF is now in first with mystery/thriller in second place! And what's strange is that while I have read less horror, I have read MORE paranormal romance AND contemporary! Two genres I don't usually gravitate toward. But there you go. Lol.


There are a couple more stats that go into specifics that I didn't include this time, but I definitely will at the end of the year. Let me know how your reading is going so far this year!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to do a mid-year check-in on these stats. It's so fun to see how your reading has (or hasn't) changed so far!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! But then again, I love graphs and numbers. Lol.

      Delete