Thursday, February 29, 2024

Monthly Wrap-Up: February 2024


I swear, this month went by SO fast! This month my reading was a little all over the place because my mood didn't know what it wanted. Lol. But I ended up reading 5 books, for a total of 2057 pages (which is about 100 pages less than last month).
  • 3 were part of a series and 2 were standalones
  • All 5 were finished copies
  • 3 were physical books, and 2 ebooks
  • 1 was a 5-star read, 2 were 4-star reads, 1 was a 3-star read, and 1 was a 2-star read
  • All 5 were traditionally published
  • 3 were by authors I've previously read and 2 by new-to-me authors
  • 2 were adult books and 3 YA
  • All 5 were fiction
  • 3 were high fantasy, 1 was horror, and 1 was a contemporary romance

Books read this month:


Compared to Six of Crows, I didn't love Shadow and Bone as much as I was hoping I would like it. It was still a solid series—I liked the world, the magic, and the overall story—but it just didn't hit like Six of Crows did. I didn't love the characters, the relationship between Mal and Alina was annoying, there was a lot more political and war strategy star than I was anticipating, and not enough action.


From Below was an okay horror novel. I liked the overall story, and I really liked the setting! But I just didn't really connect with any of the characters. And Raiders of the Lost Heart... good god I almost DNF'd it. This was pitched as this sort of romantic adventure... NO!! It's just a romance and not a good one at that. I have said this many times, but romances where the relationships have no substance and rely heavily on physical attraction... I HATE. This book was that. I liked the idea of the premise and was very excited for all the Aztec stuff, but the romance and over-sexualization of the characters drove me insane! And it's not me being a hater, I like contemporary romances from time to time. I mean, see below! I reviewed a ton of contemporaries in February that I actually liked! Please someone hand me a Lynn Painter romance because this one was not it 😭

Favorite book of the month:


Of the trilogy, the first book was my favorite! I really liked the world and the set up of the magic system. It's just so interesting!

Least favorite book of the month:


No 🙃

Books reviewed this month:


Better Than The Movies by Lynn Painter | ★★★★★
Better Than The Prom (Better Than The Movies #1.5) by Lynn Painter | ★★★★☆
Better Than Before (Better Than The Movies #0.5, Betting on You #0.5) by Lynn Painter | ★★★★☆
Better Than The Movies (Extras) by Lynn Painter | ★★★★★


The 15th of December by Lynn Painter | ★★★★★
Only Hard Problems (Galactic Bonds #3) by Jennifer Estep | ★★★★★
Flirting with Fate by J.C. Cervantes | ★★★★☆


Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians #6) by George O'Connor | ★★★★☆
The Woman in Me by Britney Spears | ★★★★★
Covert Kisses by Janette Rallison | ★★★★★
I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy | ★★★★★

Other posts:


Books and Plants
#29: Not the Series I Wanted to Finish, But I'll Take It


2024 Bookish Prediction Tag


Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

4 comments:

  1. Your reviewing game is strong 😂😂 I don't have the same patience, I usually just write a short and GIF filled review on Goodreads and leave it at that. Most of my posts are anything but reviews ( I'm literally drafting one up about Eurovision...like what am I even doing anymore?) 😂

    I agree, Mal and Alina were not my favorite couple. I thought the Darkling was much more interesting 🤭 I remember that at some point I even thought it would be better if Alina ended up alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually really struggle with reviewing and keeping up, but I am doing pretty decently right now. And don't worry, but reviews also consist of way too many gifs and a ton of rambling on my part 😂

      Everyone I have talked to about SAB says this too! It's very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I need to finish the Shadow and Bone series, only read the first one. Haven't read Six of Crows. I did DNF the Raiders of the Lost Heart book, I was so disappointed in it, like you said, the romance was not written very well in my opinion! Hey, February was shorter so it's definitely okay to have less read. Hope March is going well for you so far!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I highly recommend Six of Crows! That series was so good! At this point I would take or leave Shadow and Bone, but I was told I should read it because it has some important things for the King of Scars duology. So we will see! I'm reading that series soon!

      You are stronger than me for DNFing it. Lol. Somewhere around the 50% mark I almost did, but then I stupidly thought, "well, hey what if it gets better?" 🙃 It didn't.

      I hope you have a great March as well!

      Delete