Thursday, September 30, 2021

Monthly Wrap-Up: September 2021


This was a pretty good reading month. I read 8 books and 1 short story! One thing I need to work on is scheduling posts though, cause I am out 😬 House-wise, our kitchen cabinets should be coming in within the next week or so. I also need to finish painting the two bathrooms and some of the trim around the house, so I'm gonna work on that this weekend. Hopefully before October is over all the house stuff will finally be done! I can't wait for that day to arrive 😩 Lol.

Books read this month:


I love the Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper series! I just love books with ghosts and ghost hunting, and this is one of my favorites! I love the characters and the cases are always really interesting. This case in particular was super messed up, but I really enjoyed the book! R.L. Stine books are very hit and miss, and this one was definitely a miss 😬 Lol. The main character was just... ugh. It was dumb. I do love the 90s vibe of these books though. Dead Silence was a sci-fi/horror set in space with a very interesting mystery. I was hoping for something different from it, but I did end up enjoying it. It wasn't terribly scary for me, but I liked being on this abandoned space ship that may or may not have been haunted 👻


Contagion was another sci-fi/horror, but this one deals with an outbreak and space zombies? Idk but I liked it! Lol. I felt very disconnected from the characters, unfortunately, but the book gave me what I wanted: space with a splash of horror. Plus, the action was pretty good. However, I'm not interested enough in this to continue the series... lord knows I have about a million and a half other series I need to finish 😅 The audiobook of A Sense of Danger came out last year, but I'm not too big into audiobooks so I've been waiting very impatiently for this book to come out in the other formats. Lol. Luckily I got an ARC and I devoured it as soon as the book landed in my inbox. Lol. And I, of course, loved it! This should come as no surprise though, this being a Jennifer Estep book and all 😆 It was a really interesting world filled with spies and assassins who have some really cool superpowers. I also really enjoyed the sci-fi world of Girl of Flesh and Metal. The concept of the book was really interesting, as was the mystery of whether Lena was the killer or if the killer was after her too. Very intriguing stuff!


The short story, Dreams of Flesh and Metal, set in the same world, was also pretty good. Nothing But Blackened Teeth I was very excited to read, but boy did it disappoint. I mean, look at that cover! I was expecting scares! But there were none. What there was plenty of was flowery writing. In fact, I learned what the term "purple prose" means because of this book 😆 There was so much of it that the “scary” parts with the ghosts got lost amid all the similes and metaphors and adjectives. It was... annoying. The Vacuum of Space was a murder mystery set in space and it was fun! The murder mystery part got a little lost in the middle while the MC went and did other things, but it was still a very enjoyable read. It was funny and I really enjoyed the banter between the characters.

Favorite books of the month:


I feel like I am really predictable at this point with an Ellie Jordan and Jennifer Estep book as my favorites 😂 But I like what I like, what can I say? Lol.

Least favorite books of the month:


These two books were a mess for different reasons. I love R.L. Stine, but some of his books are... not great 🙈 But unlike Nothing But Blackened Teeth, at least he delivers some good scares! Lol.

Books reviewed this month:


The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles #9) by Cassandra Clare | ★★★★★
The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles #10) by Cassandra Clare | ★★★★★
The Voicemail of Magnus Bane (The Bane Chronicles #11) by Cassandra Clare | ★★★★★
The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, & Maureen Johnson | ★★★★★

Other posts:

August 2021



Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

2 comments: