Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Monthly Wrap-Up: October 2023


HAPPY HALLOWEEN 🎃 I hope you had a great Spooky Season! Mine could've been better tbh. I had all these plans and all these spooky books I wanted to read, but then the dreaded slump decided it wanted to make an appearance during my favorite time of year 😭 I only ended up reading 3 books... and they were all sci-fi 😂 Although to be fair, 2 of them were horror sci-fi, so... 😆 And with only 800 pages read this month, this is the least amount I have read so far this year by like 200 pages 😩 Anyway, here are some more stats:
  • 2 were novels and 1 novella
  • 1 was part of a series and 2 were standalones
  • All 3 were ebooks
  • 2 were 4-star reads and 1 was 3 stars
  • 1 book was by a new-to-me author, and 2 I've previously read
  • 1 was indie-published, and 2 traditionally published
  • All 3 were adult books
  • All 3 were sci-fi, though 2 of them were horror sci-fi

Books read this month:


I really liked David Wellington's other book, Paradise-1. And while The Last Astronaut was fine overall, I didn't love it as much as I did Paradise-1. But, I mean, it wasn't bad! It's a sci-fi horror set in space, and there may or may not be aliens 👀 2389 is a space horror novella set in a suddenly desolate amusement park on the MOON... This was GOOD! I really enjoyed it! I liked the premise, and I especially liked the setting! It was so cool! And The Darenti Paradox... well this is the 4th book in the series, but this series overall is about the Colonial Explorer Corps, well, exploring new planets. Lol. In this one, they go back to Darenti Four, where they found the first sapien aliens in human history. I really liked this one overall! But I enjoy all of Julia Huni's books. Lol.

Favorite books of the month:


These two were solid 4-star reads!

Least favorite book of the month:


I didn't dislike this one, but it went in a direction I was not expecting. It got weird! Lol. But I also didn't really like any of the characters. But a solid 3-stars to this one!

Books reviewed this month:


Life is Short and Then You Die by Kelley Armstrong | ★★★★☆
Career Day (I Hunt Killers #0.3) by Barry Lyga | ★★★★★
Neutral Mask (I Hunt Killers #0.4) by Barry Lyga | ★★★★☆


Kill Joy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder #0.5) by Holly Jackson | ★★★★☆
As Good As Dead (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder #3) by Holly Jackson | ★★★★☆

Other posts:






Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you had a slump this past month. But at least you did get a couple good books out of it. They do look interesting. I need to read Barry Lyga some day. Hope your November is going better and the slump is gone!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I Hunt Killers is SO good! Definitely recommend that series!

      Delete