Saturday, October 7, 2023

Spooky Book Recommendations


This October I have yet another list of spooky book recommendations. These are all books I read in the last year or so, but you can check out more spooky recs here: Part 1 and Part 2.


YA Mystery Thrillers:


In this first section, I have a bunch of YA mystery thrillers! I love the I Hunt Killers series! I'm actually right in the middle of the last book in the trilogy right now. It's basically about the son of an infamous serial killer trying to prove to himself and others that he is not like his dad. And he also hunts serial killers on the side. Lol. Game is the second book in the series and it was SO good! The killer in this book is basically playing this sort of game and it was messed up but very creative, I have to admit. Lol.

Four Found Dead takes place inside a boarded-up, nearly abandoned mall. A group of teenagers work their last shift at a movie theater before it gets shut down like the rest of the mall, but what they didn't expect was to be chased around by a killer and getting stuck inside the mall. I LOVED the setting! And I loved that it took place almost all in one night! It was so good!

And I'm pretty sure everyone and their mom has read One of Us is Lying at this point 😆 But it's SO good! I've read the first two books in the series and I loved them! The mysteries were just really well done, and I really liked the complex characters!


Kill Joy is a prequel novella to A Good Girl's Guide to Murder and it was so much fun! It's set at a murder mystery party and it totally gave Halloween vibes, so it's perfect for this time of year!

When I read None Shall Sleep last year I thought it was going to be a standalone, so I was shocked when I came across Some Shall Break this summer. But I am so glad that it did have a sequel because I liked it even more than the first book! This series is about two teenagers who help the FBI catch serial killers. They started off just interviewing teenage serial killers, but then they got more mixed up in the case and things went all sorts crazy. Lol. One thing that's interesting about this book is that one of the characters, his father was murdered by a serial killer, and the other character survived a serial killer, so they bring very interesting perspectives to the story. In this second book, they investigate a case that is shockingly similar to what the character who survived a serial killer went through. Copycat, perhaps? I'm not gonna tell you, but it was GOOD! 😆


Fear Street, YA Horror:


And of course, I had to include some Fear Street 😆 After a year of not having read a single Fear Street book, I finally got back into them this year, and I read some pretty good ones! This series as a whole was good! Especially because most of them included some sort of supernatural element, which I always love in a Fear Street book!


YA Fantasy Mystery Thrillers:


And this next category isn't as spooky as the other books, so if you don't like horror, this might be more for you. These are fantasy, but they both have a mystery... relating to death. There was good action and I LOVED the worldbuilding! I don't read a lot of high fantasies, but these two books I loved! I loved the concepts and I loved the worlds!


Adult Mystery Thrillers:


The Night Shift is another book that had a really good mystery! This one was another case of a possible copycat. In the 90s, four teenagers working at a Blockbuster were attacked and only one survived. And then in the present day, the same thing happens in the same town, except this time in an ice cream store.

Omg Wrong Place Wrong Time was SO good!! This is a murder mystery with a time loop! Well, it's not really a loop because the character doesn't live the same day over and over. Instead, she keeps going backward in time! It was so cool! But basically, a mom tries to figure out why/stop her teenage son from committing a murder. It was so well done!


Adult Horror:


Killer freaking mermaids! I loved Into the Drowning Deep and its creepy killer mermaids! I need more books like this!

I love the Ellie Jordan series! I suppose you could technically not read the series in order, but it's a solid series with unique and interesting cases, so I definitely recommend them all. Lol. But in Fallen Wishes, Ellie and Stacey investigate this large estate with a potentially cursed wishing well 👀 I loved the setting of this one! It was big and the grounds had different themed outdoor areas, and the area that the wishing well was in was CREEPY! I loved it!


Adult Sci-Fi Horror:


Six Wakes is a murder mystery set in space! In this world clones are common. But the clones on this ship keep getting murdered over and over which means only one thing: it's someone on the crew 👀 This was SO good! I was hooked all the way through. The poor characters kept waking up in new bodies over and over, and them realizing it had to be one of them... yikes. It was just so well done!

In Paradise-1 a crew sets out to investigate why the colony of Paradise-1 has ceased communication, and boy do they find out! This book was LONG, but it didn't feel that way because the chapters were super short and it was action-packed all the way through! It was so tense! And what was going on as ships tried to go to Paradise-1... holy crap! I did not see any of it coming! I'm so excited for the second book because not all the questions were answered and I need to know!! 😆


Adult Romantic Suspense:


This is another book that's not very spooky. It was actually really cute! Lol. Janette Rallison writes the cutest romances and I just love them! But the main character is in danger after she receives a death threat, and her parents decide to hire her a bodyguard... who just so happens to be her crush from her teenage years 😆 Like I said, the romance was super cute, but we also got a little bit of action there at the end when things go down. But yeah, this one was fun and perfect for someone who wants a little suspense, but not something totally spooky.


I hope you're having a great spooky season so far! Let me know what some of your favorite spooky reads are... I'm always looking for some horror and mystery thrillers to read!

2 comments: