Thursday, December 17, 2020

Looking Back at Books I Wish I’d read in 2019 & Anticipated Books of 2020


Last year I did this post and I had a lot of fun doing it, so I thought I'd do it again! Basically, I'm gonna look at the books in my Top Books I Wish I’d Read in 2019 AND the Top Books I was Most Looking Forward to in 2020 and see if I actually read any of those books throughout the year.

The Books I Wish I’d Read in 2019:


So this is the list of books I was hoping to read in 2019 but didn't get to for one reason or another. In 2020, however, I read half of these books! Lock Every Door was a great mystery/thriller! I was not expecting that crazy plot twist!

Lord of Shadows was fantastic, of course. You know I love my Shadowhunters šŸ˜‰

And you also know how much I love Jennifer Estep, so I really enjoyed Crush the King and the conclusion to that series.

Hunting Prince Dracula, I actually also enjoyed. and I say actually because I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book, so this one was a nice surprise.

Volume 2 of Wires & Nerve was also a good read. I love The Lunar Chronicles world and I am going to miss these characters so much! šŸ˜­

This is actually the second time Meddling Kids makes it on this type of list... I swear I will get to it one of these days! šŸ˜… Oh and The Red Scrolls of Magic will also be read soon because I am almost caught up with the Shadowhunter Chronicles! I am very excited!

The Books I was Most Anticipating in 2020


And for the books I was most looking forward to this year, I only ended up reading 3 from that list. Malice was absolutely incredible! I read it very early on in the year, and even then I knew it was going to be one of my favorites of 2020. It was just SO good!

Home Before Dark is another Riley Sager book, and another mystery/thriller I very much enjoyed! He has definitely become one of my favorite authors and I am looking forward to reading more from him!

And again, Crush the King. I love Jennifer Estep. Lol.

As for the rest... I actually wanted to read a bunch more of these, but I just wasn't in the mood for them. Instant Karma feels like it's contemporary-adjacent, and I have to be in a certain mood for contemporaries. Though I do love Marissa Meyer's writing and I feel like I will love this book, especially because it has a little dash of a supernatural element to it.

Wasn't in the mood for the 2nd book in The Babysitter's Coven this year, though I still do want to read it eventually.

I'm not caught up with the Apollo series or the Malec series, so that's why those two haven't been read.

Paola Santiago is the one book on this list that I feel like I will read sometime soon because La Llorona! šŸ‘»

And Chain of Gold I actually read like two chapters of, but I found myself not in the mood for it at the time, so I shelved it for the time being. I love this world, so I don't want to force myself to read it when I'm not in the mood. Though I have a feeling I'm gonna be reading a lot of Shadowhunter stuff next year... Well, at least that's my hope šŸ˜‰


I really enjoy looking back at books I was hoping to read or books I was anticipating and seeing whether I read them the following year. It's especially interesting because I'm a big time mood reader, so even though I want to read ALL of these, I only managed to read a small percentage. Being a mood reader is so annoying sometimes. Lol.

2 comments: