Saturday, December 9, 2023

2023 End of the Year Freak Out Tag


I love the Freak Out Tags! They are so much fun! For this one, I'll only be using books that I read from July until now. This tag was modified by Books, Bones & Buffy from the OG Mid Year Freak Out Tag.

Best Books I’ve Read Since July:


I love Janette Rallison's books! She writes the sweetest romances! Her Ex-crush Bodyguard was more romantic suspense than her usual contemporaries, but I really enjoyed it!

And then two high fantasies by Astrid Scholte... I'm surprised too. I don't read that much high fantasy. Lol. But these are fantasy thrillers apparently, and I discovered this year that I really like those. Plus, Astrid Scholte's worlds are so intriguing and addicting.

And One of Us is Lying was such a great mystery thriller! I cannot believe it took me so long to get to it!

Best Sequels I’ve Read Since July:


Spider and Frost is honestly the best thing I have read this year! I cannot get over the fact that we got a Mythos Academy/Elemental Assassin crossover. It was so good!

And in my neverending quest to finish series ice previously started, I read The Nightmare Dilemma! I actually took a risk and didn't re-read the first book... I actually haven't read it in quite a few years. But it worked out okay because I never felt like I was lost and this book did a pretty decent job of recapping the last book. I loved this one too! I forgot what a fun world this was!

One of Us is Next was a great sequel! I think I loved it as much as I did the first book!

And Some Shall Break I actually liked better than the first book! It was SO good! And other solid mystery thriller!

New Releases I Haven’t Read But Want To:


We've got a lot of spooky books here... And then a fantasy. Lol. I'm excited for these though!

Biggest Disappointments:

 

These books were just not what I was expecting them to be. That first book, I was not a fan of where the story went, There's No Way I'd Die First had very unlikable characters, and As Good As Dead also went in a direction I wasn't a fan of.

Biggest Surprises:


I was not expecting to like Some Shall Break as much as I thought I would, but also the plot twists in the book were astonishing!

And Spider and Frost... I knew this was going to be good, but I'm just shocked that it was even better than I was expecting! I loved it!

Favorite New Authors:


I love the worlds that Astrid Scholte creates. And that's saying something considering high fantasy almost never pique my interest. Lol.

And the two mystery thrillers I've read from Karen M. McManus have been so well done! I'm excited to read more from her!

Books That Made Me Cry:


No books have made me cry this year, honestly. But even though this book was a bit disappointing, the situation Pip found herself in was tough and made me feel for her. So this one came close.

Books That Made Me Happy:


I adored Spider and Frost and I will not shut up about it 🥰

But I also read Betting on You and it was so freaking cute! Definitely made me happy.

Most Anticipated Books For The 1st Half Of 2024:


I loved Instant Karma (and Marissa Meyer books in general) so I'm very excited for the sequel, With a Little Luck (February 13th)!

And I always look forward to new Jennifer Estep books! Only Hard Problems (February 20th) is part of her sci-fi series and I cannot wait to read it!

Shadows of Truth (February 27th) is the sequel to League of Liars and I'm so excited! Shocking considering it's a fantasy. Lol.

I loved Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes... it was a spooky sci-fi, and Ghost Station (April 9th) is another spooky sci-fi and I can't wait!


Let me know what some of your favorite books of the last half of 2023 have been or what you're looking forward to reading early next year!

I am not tagging anyone in particular, but feel free to do it yourself if you'd like! I'd love to see your answers! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment