Wednesday, July 1, 2020

2020 Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag



It's that time again for the Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag! I did this in 2018 and 2019 and I originally saw it over at Abby's Reading Corner.

I set a rule for myself cause otherwise I would put Malice in all the favorites categories lol: no repeat books in the categories! It was hard. Lol.

1. Best book you've read so far in 2020.

Tales from the Gas Station: Volume Two

I loved this book! It was a little creepy and a whole lot of funny! Definitely one of the best horror comedies I have read! Not that I've read many, but you get the point 😂 If you want to know what my other favorite books of the year are so far, you can check out this post!

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2020.

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)

This book was SO good! The ending was insane and heartbreaking and I am really looking forward to reading the next book!

3. New release you haven't read yet but want to.

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires

I actually borrowed this book from the library, but it just got returned unread 🤷‍♀️ I still really do want to read it thought because it sounds amazing! Housewives hunting vampires? Umm, yes please!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of 2020.

Home Before DarkPaola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago #1)

For this one it was a tie between the adult horror/thriller/mystery Home Before Dark, and the middle grade mythology book Paola Santiago and the River of Tears which has La freaking Llorona! La Llorona! I grew up listening to stories about her and I have always been intrigued, and now there's a Rick Riordan Presents book with her in it?? SO EXCITED! I have also loved all of Riley Sager's previous books, and this particular one sounds like it could be a haunting-type book which is one of my favorite tropes!

5. Biggest disappointment.

Alone

Spekaing of hauntings... this book started off promising, but that plot twist was the WORST! I hated it! Granted the second twist at the end there I kind of enjoyed, but that first plot twist kinda ruined things for me 😒

6. Biggest surprise.

Karma Girl (Bigtime, #1)

I've said this a lot, but I adore Jennfer Estep's book! All of the books I have ever read by her I have loved! Until this one, that it 😬 I'm used to her action-packed books with badass heroines, but this one was not that. There I some action, but it was actually very heavy in the romance department AND the heroine was quite a damsel in distress. Not gonna lie, not the biggest fan of that. To say that this book was a surprise is an understatement.

7. New favorite author.

Pintip Dunn

Pintip Dunn! Malice was absolutely incredible and I am very excited to read more of her books!

8. Newest fictional crush.

Malice

Speaking of Malice, the love interest Bandit was 😍😍😍

9. Newest favorite character.

Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)

Queen Zariza was sassy and I loved her! She was definitely one of my favorite characters in this book!

10. Book that made you cry.

MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)

In this sequel we find out what happened to Mary to turn her into the infamous Bloody Mary, and guys, it was awful! I may have shed a tear or two.

11. Book that made you happy.

Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)

This book was a lot of fun and had so many great characters! I loved it!

12. Favorite book to movie adaptation you've seen this year.

How Does It Compare? | This Remake Of The “Aerobics Video That Wins Everything” Wins Everything

I don't think I've seen one this year? Unless you count anime 😂 And even then it's been mostly series. Lol.

13. Favorite post you've done this year.



As always, it my yearly stats post! I love doing that one! It's so much fun!

14. Most beautiful book you bought so far this year.



Chain of Gold is absolutely stunning! I cannot get over how beautiful it is!

15. What books do you need to read by the end of this year?

Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3)The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2)Summer of the MariposasSal and Gabi Fix the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #2)

I got some Cassie Clare books, some Dracula (even though I wasn't a fan of the first book 😬 I kinda want to continue this series), a Mexican retelling of The Odyssey with La Llorona!! SO excited about this one! And last, is the Sal and Gabi sequel!


Let me know what books would make your list!

I am not tagging anyone in particular, but feel free to do it yourself if you'd like! I'd love to see your answers! 😁

6 comments:

  1. I really want to read The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires too! I was thinking of saving it for October because I always do a Halloween TBR, but I've already decided on that early so I'll have to make room for it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yeah, it would be fun to read it in October! I don't usually do tbr lists for myself because I never stick to them 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to read the vampire slayer book. I read the author’s other book, Horrorstor, a few weeks ago and loved it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Horrorstor too! It was good! Really looking forward to this one!

      Delete
  4. I am definitely looking forward to Paola Santiago and the River of Tears!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete