Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Top 10 Disappointing Books of 2019 (and Books I DNFd)!



It's the end of the year and we all love to talk about all the books we loved. But what about those we maybe didn't love so much? Well, that's why I'm here today! 🙃

Most of these are 3-star books (except for one of them... you'll see), so they weren't awful. But they did disappoint me. I also included some books I DNFd this year, which I almost never do. So there's that 😅


The First Scream (Fear Park, #1) The Loudest Scream (Fear Park, #2) The Last Scream (Fear Park, #3)

Spooky amusement parks? Umm, yes please! This, however, was quite disappointing. The story felt very dragged out and I wish Robin would've just gotten on with the killing instead of doing his stupid little accident things. Ugh!

The Snowman UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) Stalking Jack the Ripper Drop Dead Gorgeous (Return to Fear Street, #3)

The Snowman is actually the first book I read in 2019, and it was also the only book I gave one start to this year! It was bad! What a way to start the year, right? 🙄 But the main character was annoying and the mystery or whatever was dumb.

UnEnchanted I was excited to read because it's a fairy tale retelling, but it was just... not that great. The writing was a mess and the characters gave me whiplash with their sudden change in mood, which is too bad because the premise itself was very intriguing.

Out of all of these books, Stalking Jack the Ripper is probably the biggest disappointment just because I was insanely excited to read it. This books, it is a me book! It's about the most infamous serial killer so I was expecting it to be thrilling AF! It wasn't. There were no thrills. And the mystery was predictable. The characters were meh at best and me not loving this books just makes me sad 😭

There are three books in the Return to Fear Street series. The first two books in the series I really enjoyed, so I was very much looking forward to this one. But... it just wasn't as good as the other two 😟

The Evil Moon (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #1) The Dark Secret (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #2) The Deadly Fire (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #3)

More Fear Street. I read a lot of Fear Street this year but most of it was just... meh 🤷‍♀️ This is another series I was really excited to read because the premise just sounds so cool! It's basically like Christine, with a haunted car and whatnot. But it was just... weird because the series almost wanted you to sympathize with the guy I am pegging as the antagonist. I'm sorry, but he was a dick to Catherine and he deserved what he got 😒


DNFs of 2019:

Program 13 (The Emile Reed Chronicles, #1) Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer

As I mentioned before, I don't DNF very many books. But this year these two just... they didn't do it for me. The first one I was excited to read because it sounded so interesting, but I feel like nothing was happening and the writing was really weird. I found myself skim-reading through the end of the 25% I did read just to see if anything was gonna happen... but nothing really did so I just stopped reading it. The second was pretty much the same. There were some pretty cool kills, but nothing exciting was happening. PLUS I had to return it to the library so I DNFd it as well. Lol.


Did you have any disappointing books you read this year? Let me know below!

Happy Holidays! 😊

2 comments:

  1. I guess when you read SO much of a single series, some of them are bound to disappoint you---Guess that's what happened with Fear Street. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true. I always have fun with Fear Street, even when they're not great lol.

      Delete