Wednesday, December 18, 2019

The Penguin Hotline Gave Me Some Recommendations...



About a week ago I saw this really interesting post over on Jen Ryland Reviews where she tried out the Penguin Hotline, which what?! I had no idea this was a thing! After reading her post I knew I needed to give it a shot! Basically what this is, is you input some info about yourself (or someone you're shopping for!) and you will get some book recommendations personalized to you! How cool is that?

I submitted the form on Saturday, December 7th, and there are really only two questions you have to answer. I think I went a little overboard with mine... Idk 😅



After you submit your answers you just wait for the email with your recommendations. Mine came in four days later on December 11th, and I think it's an actual person who hand picks your choices, which just makes it that much better! For me, they recommended books in basically two different categories, which I am happy with because I gave them about a million suggestions 😅😂

Horror/Thrillers:

There's Someone Inside Your House

So, I thought it was really funny that the very first book on my recommendation list was There's Someone Inside Your House because I've actually already read this book... and I didn't love it 🙈 The email said this about the book: "It's a heart-pounding slasher in the vein of the Scream movies..." And okay, I don't disagree, per se. The one thing I liked about this book were the kills—they were pretty awesome! BUT, to me, this book was more of a contemporary romance that once in a while remembered it was supposed to be a mystery/thriller 🤷‍♀️ (This is the only book on my recommendation list that I've read.)

They Both Die at the End

I feel like I've heard of They Both Die at the End, but I never looked into it. Now having looked it up, the premise sounds interesting, but... it sounds more contemporary than thriller and I'm not super into that. I used to not read contemporary at all—I'm only just starting to come around to them recently, but I'm very, very picky when it comes to contemporary. Would I read this? Maybe. But would I put it on my tbr list immediately? No.

The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)

The Haunted, on the other hand, sounds like it's right up my alley! I love anything with ghosts and haunted houses! Would I read this one? Yes!

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)

The last recommendation in the mystery/thriller category was anything by Tana French, such as her Dublin Murder Squad series. I don't read a lot outside the YA genre, but I step out here and there, and In the Woods actually sounds awesome! The mystery sounds like it will be very intriguing so I am definitely adding it to my tbr list!

Witches/Magic/Mythology:

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)

My first recommendation here is a witch-y one, the All Souls trilogy. This one I have seen around, but I never even put it on my tbr list because the synopsis just doesn't do it for me. I love witches, but idk about this one. If you've read this one let me know your thoughts!

The Song of Achilles Circe

And the last two are Greek mythology books by Madeline MillerThe Song of Achilles and Circe. They are retellings of The Iliad and The Odyssey respectively, which, yes please! I actually already had Circe on my tbr list, so you know I want to read that! But I didn't have The Song of Achilles, which, how dare I! Lol. I've rectified that and it is on my tbr list right beside Circe 😊


All in all, the recommendations where pretty good! Of the seven books, I read one, I'm iffy about two, but the rest are hits, for sure! If you have not tried this fun feature from Penguin Random House, I highly recommend you check it out! It would be such a fun way to find books for friends and loved ones! Ooooh, maybe I can finally get my brothers to read a book 😏😂

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting idea---I'd never heard of it!! I agree that They Both Die at the End isn't really a thriller. It might be a contemporary (with a hint of sci-fi) that some thriller readers could possibly be interested in, but definitely not a thriller.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete