Thursday, December 30, 2021

Top 10 Disappointing Books of 2021


Today we're talking about the books I didn't like. Yay! 🙃 Lol.



I usually love everything Jennifer Estep writes, but me and the Bigtime series just do not get along and it makes me so sad! A big reason why is because of all the instalove. You guys know I don't like instalove, and it is everywhere in this series! Also, the main character in this book in particular I just didn't like. She was such a negative person and it just wasn't fun to follow her.

I absolutely loved Being Jamie Baker, so I was super excited for More Than Jamie Baker! Unfortunately, it was a huge let down. Throughout the entire book there was this guy that was trying to break her up with Ryan, and while she told him she wasn't interested, he kept insisting and just wouldn't go away! In fact, she welcomed him into her circle of friends and it was just annoying. And the ending didn't help... it was so infuriating I probably won't read book 3.

Riley Sager is another author whose books I also usually like to one degree or another. But in Survive the Night we got a main character so dumb I just couldn't enjoy the story. The ending of this book was also not great.


R.L. Stine books can be really hit or miss, and unfortunately I feel like I read a bunch of misses this year 😬 All of these books were filled with dumb characters and predictable mysteries.


While I loved the world of Warcross, I didn't really love anything else. The story was predictable and I could just never connect with any of the characters. It was such a shame because the duology had so much potential!

And then All These Bodies... it was incredibly underwhelming! I love Kendare Blake's Anna Dressed in Blood duology, so I was super excited to find out she was diving back into the more horror side of writing, but this book was just... it wasn't very thrilling, although I don't think it was really supposed to be? And then the ending was left way too open. I needed more questions answered!

Nothing But Blackened Teeth I was also very excited to read, but boy did it disappoint. I mean, look at that cover! I was expecting scares! But there were none. What there was plenty of was flowery writing. In fact, I learned what the term "purple prose" means because of this book. Lol. There was so much of it that the “scary” parts with the ghosts got lost amid all the similes and metaphors and adjectives. It was SO annoying.


Were there any books you read this year that were disappointing?
Let me know! (So I can stay away from them 😂)

4 comments:

  1. Yep, every year has those disappointing books... For me the biggest one this year was Eragon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yeah. I haven't heard great things about that one 😬

      Delete
  2. I'm a little bummed to see Nothing But Blackened Teeth on here! But I also hate flowery writing, so I might need to change my mind on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the flowery writing was quite overwhelming.

      Delete