Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Monthly Wrap-Up: August 2022


August was a really busy month for me. Started off the month being in Omaha for my cousins wedding, followed by a road trip back home. I had the next two weeks off of work and I spent them trying to catch up on reviews and I got a good chunk done! Very proud of myself. Lol. After that I started up back at work. And then every weekend this month has been filled with one party or another... birthdays, wedding anniversaries... and we still got another one THIS weekend 💀 My introverted self needs at least 3 months to recharge from all that 😆

As for reading, I read 6 books this month, 3 were re-reads, and a total of 1894 pages, which is about 100 pages more than last month. All were adult books... wait, this is the first month this year I haven't read a YA book?! Who am I?? 😆 Anyway, 5 books were fiction and 1 nonfiction. 1 was sci-fi, 1 horror, and 4 urban fantasy.

Books read this month:


Luna City Limited: The Phoenix and Katie Li takes place in the same world as Space Janitor, but follows different characters and it has spies, so that was fun! It's not as lighthearted as Space Janitor is, it doesn't have the same vibe, but I still enjoyed it. We do meet these two characters in the latest Space Janitor book, Waxing the Moon of Lewei, and I kind wish I would've read this book first to really appreciate the appearance of these characters in Waxing the Moon of Lewei. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was action packed and just fun.

Sugar Plum Spies is another spy book, this one by Jennifer Estep. And I, of course, loved it! It takes place mostly in one evening, which I really enjoyed. It makes for an action-packed book. But Jennifer always delivers on the action, so there's no surprise there 😆 The situation Charlotte and Des stumble upon was very interesting, and I also really enjoyed the romance. This was a shorter book, but it was still great! Oh, and perfect for the upcoming holiday season.

Behind the Horror is my third nonfiction book about horror movies this year. It was really interesting and included some movies I didn't even realize were inspired by true events, like The Exorcist, Jaws, Poltergeist, and Scream. Psycho, Texas Chainsaw, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Silence of the Lambs I knew were inspired by true events, but it was very cool to dive into the stories in detail. I love horror, but this book was actually hard to read in some places, mostly when it was talking about slashers, just because I was so acutely aware that these awful things happened to real people. But I did enjoy it overall.


For a while now I've been wanting to re-read the Elemental Assassin series, and I finally made it happen! Dude, I am having the time of my life re-reading this series! 😆 I just love this world and Gin Blanco! I've really missed her! I was thinking that it had been a long time since I last read an Elemental Assassin book, but then I looked it up and I realized that the latest book in the series only came out March of LAST YEAR 😂 My god, I am so dramatic. It's literally been like a year since I last read a Gin Blanco book 🤣 Whatever. I like this series so it's fine. Lol. Now excuse me while I continue my Elemental Assassin binge read 😆

Favorite book of the month:


Honestly, I loved all the books I read this month. But if I were to exclude re-reads (cause obviously they're favorites, otherwise I wouldn't have re-read them lol), then I'm gonna go with Sugar Plum Spies. Who's surprised that it's the Jennifer Estep book? 😆

Least favorite book of the month:

Like I said, I enjoyed all the books I read, so no dislikes this month!

Books reviewed this month:


See You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon | ★★★★☆
Hide by Kiersten White | ★★★★☆
Wretched Waterpark (Sinister Summer #1) by Kiersten White | ★★★★★
Nightmare Fuel: The Science of Horror Films by Nina Nesseth | ★★★★☆


Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #1) by Cassandra Clare & Sarah Rees Brennan | ★★★★★
The Lost Herondale (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #2) by Cassandra Clare & Robin Wasserman | ★★★★★
The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #3) by Cassandra Clare & Maureen Johnson | ★★★★☆

Other posts:


July 2022

2019

2018

2016

2011


Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

8 comments:

  1. Hide looks like such a wild ride. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I will have to pick that one up soon. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really enjoyed it! I loved the setting!

      Delete
  2. Have a great September reading month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that Behind the Horror book sounds good! I also need to read a Jennifer Estep book some time. Hide was pretty good, I liked that one! Hope you are having a good September so far!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Behind the Horror was great! And a Jennifer Estep book is always a good idea 😆

      Delete