Saturday, October 15, 2022

Fall/Spooky Book Recommendations


Today I've compiled a list of some of my favorite spooky books I have read over the last couple of years. I've got some mysteries, thrillers, slashers (can a book be a slasher? Lol), horror comedies, and even some nonfiction recommendations!


Middle Grade:


Of all the Kiersten White books I have read, I think her middle grade novels are my favorite! They are spooky and funny and just a lot of fun! Beanstalker is basically a fairy tale retelling, and I just really loved how creepy it was and how well the story flowed.

Wretched Waterpark was also a lot of fun! It basically takes place in a gothic waterpark where the kids solve a mystery and it was just fun! I just finished reading the sequel, Vampiric Vacation, and that one was fun too! They unravel a mystery at a place called Sanguine Spa 👀 It was great! Lol.


Young Adult:


How to Hang a Witch is more urban fantasy, as opposed to the horror or mystery thrillers that are the rest of my recommendations. I really enjoyed this one! There are witches and curses and ghosts, and it was just a great read!

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder was incredible! It was such a well written mystery, and it was just a very intriguing read! The sequel, Good Girl, Bad Blood, was also great! I really need to finish this series because it's one of the best mystery thriller series I have read!

The I Hunt Killers series is another great one! But this one is about Jasper who helps the police catch serial killers. Oh yeah, and his dad just so happens to be one of the most notorious serial killers out there 😱 It is just good! This is another series I have not finished yet, but I'm hoping to get to the last book in the trilogy sometime this month!


Fear Street:


What is a spooky post without some Fear Street? 😆 Goodnight Kiss was surprisingly good. And I say surprising because it has vampires and vampires aren't really my thing anymore. But this one was fun and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would!

You May Now Kill the Bride was released back in 2018 and it is probably my favorite book in the newer Fear Street series. This book had magic and the Fear family was involved, and I always love when the Fears make an appearance! It also has this dual timeline thing going on that I really enjoyed. And the mystery was pretty good too, from what I remember.


Adult:


For the most part, I really enjoy Riley Sager's books. The one that came out last year (Survive the Night) I was not a fan of, but everything else has been pretty good. I think he writes some really interesting mysteries, and I like that the plot twists always get me! I love a good plot twist! And Lock Every Door and Home Before Dark had a couple I did not see coming!

Dead Silence is a sci-fi horror and it was SO good! My favorite thing about it was definitely the atmosphere. It's basically set in an abandoned and potentially haunted space ship 😱 Think a haunted Titanic... but in space!


Tales from the Gas Station is a horror comedy series about weird things that go on at this gas station at the edge of town, and I love it! It's creepy and weird and really funny! And guess what? This is another series I have yet to finish! 🙃 Lol. The last book in the series, Volume 4, came out not too long ago, but I'm waiting for the audiobook to come out cause I really like the narrator.

Maniac of New York is actually a comic book! I don't really read comic books, but when I heard about this one I knew I needed it in my brain ASAP! It is very reminiscent of Friday the 13th with the killer just slashing people left and right in New York. But what makes it different from the movies is how done everyone is with his bullshit. It's hilarious! They are very jaded when it comes to this guy. There's even a segment in the news about where he last struck and basically how it affects commute times 😂 It's so good! Volume 2 came out not that long ago, and it's another one I want to get to soon!

Hide is another Kiersten White book, but this one an adult horror! I really enjoyed it! It takes place in an abandoned amusement park where contestant play a deadly game of hide and seek, and it was just so good! I loved the setting!

Rolling in the Deep I just read last week and I loved it! All you need to know is that a mockumentary crew sets out to find mermaids... and they do. And they're deadly 👀 This is a prequel to Into the Drowning Deep, which I am actually right in the middle of right now, and I am enjoying every minute of it! I just love the premise of killer mermaids! And there's a ton of science, which I am a fan of.


Nonfiction:


Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters and Behind the Horror are two true crime books, I guess you could say. The first talks about why serial killer do the things that they do and the psychology behind it. It was a very intriguing read!

And the second one, as the title suggests, talks about true stories and killers that inspired horror movies. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, among others. I love horror movies so this was right up my alley.

And continuing on with the theme of horror movies, How to Survive a Horror Movie is exactly that. A nonfiction guide about how to survive deadly, fictional movies 😂 It was a lot of fun! I loved it!

And then Nightmare Fuel is another book about horror movies, but this one more so goes into the science of horror movies, and talks about why we like horror and how our bodies react when we consume this media. I love science so I found this book to be really intriguing! Even if you don't like horror movies, I feel like these books might be interesting reads regardless.


Spooky Season is my favorite time of year, so you bet I love a good spooky read! Let me know what some of your favorite spooky/fall books are! And if you're looking for more recommendations, I have some more recommendations in this post I did 4 years ago!

4 comments:

  1. Great selection. Too bad I'm not into the horror genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heck yes, Mira Grant's books always freak me out. I devoured Feed (har har) in just a few days, but then could not stop thinking about it. I didn't know Into the Drowning Deep had a prequel- that's going on my list. Thanks for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Feed soon! And yes!! I didn't know about the sequel either until recently! It was so good!

      Delete