Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Monthly Wrap-Up: January 2024


I've been seeing a lot of people saying how long January seemed to them, but for me, it went by FAST! Idk what it was... probably the fact that work is nonstop chaos so maybe that makes time go faster 😆 Anyway, I started off strong in January, reading-wise. I ended up reading 6 books, which is about 2149 pages.
  • 3 were part of a series and 3 were standalones
  • 2 were ARCs and 4 were finished copies
  • 2 were physical books, 3 ebooks, and 1 was an ebook/audiobook combo
  • 5 were 5-star reads and 1 was a 4-star read
  • 1 was indie-published and 5 traditionally published
  • 3 were by authors I've previously read and 3 by new-to-me authors
  • 4 were adult books and 2 YA
  • 4 were fiction and 2 non-fiction
  • 1 was sci-fi fantasy, 2 high fantasy, 1 space horror, and 2 were memoirs

Books read this month:


I started off the year with high fantasy... who would've thought? 😅 But then I got an ARC of Only Hard Problems and had to read it immediately! And I loved it, of course! I have been looking forward to this book since the author announced that she was writing a book in Zane's POV! It was so good and so insightful! Plus, it had a lot of amazing action!

So after I finished that, I went back to Six of Crows, which I also loved! I picked this up because, as I said, I love action and this is a high fantasy with a heist! And it was all so well done! And I honestly think I liked the sequel, Crooked Kingdom, even more! I loved the characters and I loved the found family trope! It was so good!


After that, I was surprised to find that my request for an ARC of Ghost Station was approved, so I read that as soon as I got it! This was one of my most anticipated books of this year—I really enjoyed Dead Silence by this author, which came out last year, so I was really looking forward to reading more spooky sci-fi books from S.A. Barnes! And I ended up enjoying it! It wasn't as atmospherically creepy as Dead Silence, but I still enjoyed it. Plus, it had some pretty good character development.

And then I put on hold the rest of the Grishaverse at the library, so while I waited for Shadow and Bone to arrive (it finally did and I am in the middle of it right now! Yay!), I started The Woman in Me, and then I'm Glad My Mom Died. These are the first two memoirs I have ever read and let me tell you, reading them back to back was not a good idea 😭 I don't want to say that I enjoyed these two books because that feels kinda icky given everything they went through. However, I was invested in their story from the start and appreciated how real they were about their lives and the abuse they suffered. I highly recommend both of these! But honestly, I am so ready to crawl back to my fantasy worlds where the pain is only fictional 😭

Favorite book of the month:


It was so hard to choose because it was such a solid reading month! None of the books I read got below 4 stars! But I think these three were my favorites! I love Jennifer Estep and everything she writes, and the Six of Crows duology I ended up enjoying more than I thought. It was such a nice surprise and I am so glad I gave the series I shot!

Least favorite book of the month:

None! I liked them all!

Books reviewed this month:


Maniac of New York: The Death Train by Elliott Kalan, Andrea Mutti, Taylor Esposito | ★★★★☆
Maniac of New York: The Bronx is Burning by Elliott Kalan, Andrea Mutti, Taylor Esposito | ★★★★☆


Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians #3) George O'Connor | ★★★★☆
Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians #7) by George O'Connor | ★★★★☆


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo | ★★★★★
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo | ★★★★★

Other posts:


December 2023
2023 Reading Stats


End of the Year TBR *Update*
#28: Series finished in 2023 & Series I'm Hoping to Finish in 2024



Most Read Authors (as of 2024)
Top Authors I Own the Most Books From (as of 2024)!



Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment