Saturday, August 17, 2024

Bout of Books Readathon


The Bout of Books readathon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It’s a weeklong readathon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in YOUR time zone. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are reading sprints, daily Discord questions, and exclusive Instagram challenges, but they’re all completely optional. For all Bout of Books 41 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team



Last year my goal for this readathon was very ambitious, but this year the goal is a whole lot simpler: to get back into reading full-length novels because lately, I've been STRUGGLING. For the last three months or so, I have been in this weird sort of slump where I just can't seem to get into full-length novels. Not even a Jennifer Estep ARC that I have been anticipating for months! And you know it's serious when I can't even read a book by my favorite author 😭


The only thing that has been saving me from a full-blown slump is manga, to be honest. Lol. And while I am enjoying my manga era, I would like to get back into full-length books because spooky season is basically here and I want to read ALL the spooky books! So wish me luck, because while the goal this year is simpler, it might honestly be more difficult than my goal from last year πŸ˜…

I've been rambling and I don't think I've even made my goal super clear. Lol. Last year I set a goal to read a certain number of books, but this year my goal is to read at least ONE hour of a full-length book per day. Any manga or novellas I read aside from that are just a plus. And I'm going with time instead of pages because I plan on reading ebooks/eARCs, and I feel like it's just easier to keep track that way. One hour a day should be attainable, but we will see. In my everyday life, I don't actually read every single day, so this will be interesting. (I'm going to keep track of things in this post and update my progress at the end of each day.)

Monday (Day 1)

I read a lot more than I was anticipating today. I didn't finish any books, but I read more than the one hour I assigned myself as a goal, so I'll take it! Lol.


I read two chapters of Percy Jackson (the Persephone and Hera chapters), and I read about a third of This Book Kills! I have not touched that last book in months, so this was quite an accomplishment. Lol. I'm enjoying both of these books though. I'm hoping to finish This Book Kills tomorrow (finally!)

Time read for full-length novels: 2 hours 28 minutes ✅
Total time read today: 3 hours 34 minutes
Total pages read today: 42 pages of Percy Jackson and 34% of This Book Kills
Books finished today: 0
Total books finished this readathon: 0

Tuesday (Day 2)

I finished a book! This Book Kills has been on my Currently Reading shelf since JUNE. And I finally finished it today 😭 Overall, it was fine. The mystery was intriguing, but that ending draaaaged.


I also made quite a bit of progress on Dark Quasar Ignites. I'm almost at the halfway mark, but this is a short book, at around 250 pages, so I'll probably finish it tomorrow. Especially because I am hooked! I love this world and these characters, and the situation they're in is getting sketchier by the second! I am invested! Lol.

Time read for full-length novels: 3 hrs 52 min ✅
Total time read today: 3 hrs 52 min
Total pages read today: 37% of This Book Kills and 79 pages of Dark Quasar Ignites
Books finished today: 1
Total books finished this readathon: 1

Wednesday (Day 3)

Another book done! This one was so much fun! Which I expected because I just really enjoy this series and world. Lol.


I was hoping to read more, but I took a really long break between reading sessions today and I just played The Sims 4 for a while... and no one is surprised πŸ˜‚

Time read for full-length novels: 3 hrs 7 min ✅
Total time read today:3 hrs 7 min
Total pages read today: 149
Books finished today: 1
Total books finished this readathon: 2

Thursday (Day 4)

I didn't get a lot of reading done today (again, because I decided to play The Sims 4 πŸ˜…), but I at least hit my goal of reading one hour of a full-length novel, so I'll take it! Lol.


I'm just over halfway done with Percy Jackson's Greek Gods and I'm hoping to finish this book before the week is over. As for Only Cold Depths, I'm only 20% into it, and while I would also like to finish this one before the week is over, I don't know if I actually will. I'm already thinking about starting a different book πŸ˜… I am enjoying both of these though!

Time read for full-length novels: 1 hr 1 min ✅
Total time read today: 2 hrs 58 min
Total pages read today: 60 pages of Percy Jackson, 11% of Only Cold Depths
Books finished today: 0
Total books finished this readathon: 2

Friday (Day 5)

I finished Percy Jackson's Greek Gods today!! I was actually thinking I was going to finish it tomorrow, but I was having such a fun time reading it that I just decided to finish it today. Lol.


And I am also officially hooked on Only Cold Depths. I'm about a third of the way through and I am LOVING it! I blame my finicky mood for not getting into it sooner πŸ˜† So my goal for the rest of this readathon: I'll read the second third of this book tomorrow, and the last third on Sunday, and I will be done with it! That's the hope, anyway. I might decide to start another book between now and then (which is highly likely! Lol).

Time read for full-length novels: 1 hr 6 min ✅
Total time read today: 4 hrs 32 min
Total pages read today: 138 pages of Percy Jackson, 11% of Only Cold Depths
Books finished today: 1
Total books finished this readathon: 3

Saturday (Day 6)

Today was not a good reading day. I played a little Sims 4, I watched some movies, but I did at least read for one hour!


I'm down to the last day of the readathon and I was hoping to finish this book, so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Time read for full-length novels: 1 hr 38 min
Total time read today: 1 hr 38 min
Total pages read today: 13%
Books finished today: 0
Total books finished this readathon: 3

Sunday (Day 7)

My reading these last two days of the readathon really slowed down, but I'm not surprised. Like I mentioned, in my everyday life I don't read every single day, so I think maybe I was starting to burn out a little bit.


That being said, I'm still enjoying this book and I am happy with my overall reading in this readathon 😌

Time read for full-length novels: 1 hr 15 min
Total time read today: 1 hr 15 min
Total pages read today: 14%
Books finished today: 0
Total books finished this readathon: 3


Wish me luck, because I'm certainly gonna need it πŸ˜…

2 comments:

  1. omgosh I didn't know this readathon existed and of course it's the last one 😭 this past week had me in a slump too, I kept binging The Mentalist and not reading ANYTHING 🀦‍♀️ but you know what, you inspired me to try this out and hopefully get back on track with my TBR.

    I wish you all the luck with the readathon, I believe in you!! πŸ₯° I have a feeling that Jennifer Estep book will be crucial at some point during the readathon πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad to learn it was the last one too! I only discovered these readathons last year.

      Omg thank you! 😭 It sounds like we're in the same boat 😩 I wish the best of luck on the readathon! And hopefully we'll find a book that pulls us out of these slumps.

      Delete