Friday, August 30, 2024

Monthly Wrap-Up: August 2024


I'm back! I'm finally back into reading full-length novels and I could not be more happy! I read a whole lot of different things this month. I read a total of 8 books, about 2500 pages total, which is about 1000 pages MORE than last month! Oh, that makes me so happy 😌
  • 4 were full-length novels, 1 collection of short stories, and 3 were manga
  • 7 were part of a series, and 1 was a standalone
  • I started 2 series but finished 1!
  • 4 were ARCs and 4 were finished copies
  • 3 were physical books and 5 ebooks
  • 5 were 5-star books, 2 were 4-star books, and 1 was a 3-star book
  • 2 were indie-published, and 6 were traditionally published
  • 3 were by a new-to-me author and 5 were by authors I've previously read
  • 3 were adult books, 4 YA, and 1 middle grade book
  • All 8 were fiction books
  • 2 were sci-fi, 1 contemporary romance, 3 action, 1 mystery thriller, and 1 Greek mythology

Books read this month:


I started off the month with more manga. Spy x Family is one series I've been meaning to read since I watched the anime and fell in love with it! I read the first two volumes this month and I loved them just as much! I just love the family dynamics, the characters themselves, and the action. It is SO fun!

Sakamoto Days is a manga that was recommended to me recently, and this one is about a retired assassin and it was also a lot of fun! This one also has some very fun characters and tons of action, which I love. And even though I've only read the first volume so far, it seems to me like this one is going to have a bit of a found family situation going on, and I am here for it! I should probably go and see if my library has volume 2... brb 👀 Lol.

This Book Kills was an okay mystery thriller. Even though I felt like the ending dragged on forever, I did like the mystery and overall story.


And I am always happy when Julia Huni releases something new because I love her books! This is a Vanti book from a series that is a spinoff of the original Space Janitor series, and it was just a lot of fun! The story was intriguing, there was fun banter between the characters, and Vanti is just a badass and I love her!

More Percy Jackson! I have been very behind on Rick Riordan's books, but this year I have slowly been trying to catch up. This month I read this book which touches on some of the main Greek gods, and it was narrated by the one and only Percy Jackson. I adore Percy! He is SO sassy and that just made this book that much more fun to read! I had a blast!

Another author whose books I cannot get enough of is Jennifer Estep, especially her Galactic Bonds series because it is this perfect blend of sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. And Only Cold Depths was equally as good as the rest of the books in the series! The family stuff that Vesper was dealing with was probably my favorite part of this book. Jennifer Estep just does family dynamics and found families SO good! It kinda makes me miss Gin Blanco and her found family, but I literally just re-read the Elemental Assassin series last year! 😂 I still kinda want to re-read it again though 👀

Omg... Nothing Like the Movies. You guys know I don't read a lot of contemporary romance, but a year or two ago I discovered that I absolutely LOVED Lynn Painter's books, so I was very excited when I got approved for an ARC of this book. However, when I started it this week I didn't know if I was going to be in the right mood for it because I have found that I do have to be in a very specific mood to want to read a romance. But I should not have been worried because this is a Lynn Painter book, a WesLiz book no less, and I DEVOURED all 448 pages in TWO days! I was HOOKED! I was not expecting it to be as heartbreaking as it was, but I loved it all the same. It had that signature Lynn Painter romance that is SO cute it makes you want to kick your feet in delight. I have not had a book hangover in a while, but this book definitely did a number on me 😭 I loved it!

Favorite books of the month:


I read SO many good books this month that it was so hard to pick!

Least favorite book of the month:

This was a good reading month! I liked all the books to one extent or another.

Books reviewed this month:


Frightmares by Eva V. Gibson | ★★★★☆
Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep #0.5) by Mira Grant | ★★★★☆
Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep #1) by Mira Grant | ★★★★☆
Saving Mitch (The MacDonald Brothers #1) by Emily Matthews | ★★☆☆☆


Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by April Genevieve Tucholke | ★★★☆☆
Mere Mortals by Erin Jade Lange | ★★★★☆
Dark Quasar Ignites (Friends of a Former Space Janitor #2) by Julia Huni | ★★★★☆


Some Shall Break (None Shall Sleep #2) by Ellie Marney | ★★★★★
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago #1) by Tehlor Kay Mejia | ★★★☆☆
The Last Astronaut by David Wellington | ★★★☆☆
This Book Kills by Ravena Guron | ★★★☆☆

Other posts:




Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for reading being back where it should be!! And I almost forgot about the new Lynn Painter book. I have the e-galley, just didn't have it on my review schedule. So I had to go update that and then update my month end post, lol. Hope you have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm glad I reminded you! Lol. It was SOO good! I hope you like it!

      Delete