Saturday, July 8, 2023

2023 Mid-Year Check In: Reading Stats


I love numbers, so I'm always excited to look at my reading stats to see how my reading changes throughout the year. Checking in on my stats in the middle of the year is still pretty new to me, but I'm still excited to see how it's going!



In the first half of 2023, I read 35 books. Last year I read 40, and yet, this graph still looks pretty much the same. Lol. This year I've read one more novel than last year, but last year I read significantly more short stories/novellas.


This one is a little different because I re-read more books this year than last year. It was all those Elemental Assassin books at the beginning of the year. Sigh. I miss Gin Blanco already. Lol.


This one is interesting. I've had more ups and downs this year. Idk why, but I always seem to read less in February. Maybe because it's a short month?


But looking at this one, they look a bit more similar... minus March and May. Lol.


Last year I read the most from the 0-99 page range and the longest book was in the 500-599 page range. But this year I've read longer books than I did last year.


And this one is pretty similar to last year. I tend to read more finished copies than ARCs. But this year I've read 3 fewer ARCs than I did last year.


Continuing on with the theme from last year, more ebooks this year! I used to read more physical books, but lately, it's been ebooks because I can access them faster if I'm borrowing from the library. And I like to get them as soon as I can because I never know when my finicky mood will change. Lol.


And like every year, most of the books I read are books I've purchased myself, followed by books from the library. Before last year though, I used to read way more books that I bought! But in the last year or two, I've been using my library a lot more!


This pie chart is new. I wanted to see when I bought/borrowed the books I bought, whether they were from this year, or before 2023. And so far, it looks like the majority of the books I've read are books I've acquired before 2023. But it's really close! I'm curious to see if/how this one will change by the end of the year.


This one isn't too terribly different from last year. I love my series so that category always wins. Lol. Although I have read 5 fewer than I did by this point last year.


This one I am doing pretty well in compared to last year! Last year I had only finished by the time July rolled around, but this year I've already finished 4, and only started 5! Last year I had started 9 😬🙈 Lol.


I love the look of this one 😌 No 2- or 1-star reads so far. Only one DNF and a bunch of 5-star reads!


Last year I didn't read any R.L. Stine books, so I didn't read any books from the early 2000s or the 90s. But this year I got back into Fear Street so that's why I have a couple books in those categories!


I feel like this chart is pretty similar every year. About 1/4 of the books I read are indie books. I love indie books. There are some real hidden gems out there.


This one is quite different from last year because this year the female-to-male ratio is a little more even than it was last year. Again, because of those R.L. Stine books. Lol.


This one is pretty much the same, which has happened 3 years in a row now. Lol.


Another that is similar. I read the same amount of books by new-to-me authors as last year, but I read fewer books overall so the proportions are a little off.


Here is another one that has been pretty much the same for years now, too. Lol. I like what I like, apparently. Lol.


And this one is actually more similar to my stats from 2021. Huh. Last year it was a little bit more evenly split.


Ditto for this one! Lol. Last year I read less first person and more third person... and now that I think about it, I think, again, those Fear Street books are the ones that are making the difference. Lol.


This one is very different. I've noticed lately that I have been reading more adult books and my stats certainly reflect that. I used to read pretty much only YA, but I've been diversifying! Look at me! Lol. The number here pretty much flipped from what I had read last year. Very interesting. (Though this year my re-read of the adult series Elemental Assassin certainly helped. Lol.)


This one is pretty similar to last year, though last year I read two more books than in 2023. But this is another thing I've noticed: I've been reading more and more nonfiction lately compared to previous years!


This is one of my favorite charts to look at! Even though it never surprises me. Lol. I take that back... this chart did surprise me last year. Last year my most read genre was sci-fi, which is fair because that's all I've been wanting to read lately. BUT urban fantasy had always been the genre I read the most books from, and now I'm back! Honestly, it's all thanks to my re-read of Elemental Assassin. Lol. And after that is horror, which is pretty normal for me. Lol. It was also in second place last year.


Let me know how your reading is going so far this year!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive graphics to show your stats. No nonfiction titles, huh? I usually am working on a nonfiction and a fiction book at the same time at least.

    My discussion this month: Where to post reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a lot of nonfiction. I'm starting to get into them more but I find that I need to take a break from those types of books.

      Delete