Friday, May 31, 2024

Monthly Wrap-Up: May 2024


May has been my best reading month so far this year. I DNFd my first book of the year, but I read 7 other books (3 were re-reads) for a total of 3180 pages, which is about 500 pages more than last month.
  • 6 were part of a series, 1 standalone
  • I started 2 series and technically finished 1 but I'm not counting it because it was a re-read lol
  • All 7 were finished copies
  • All 7 were physical books
  • 3 were 5-star books, 2 were 4-star books, and 2 were 3-star books
  • All 7 were traditionally published
  • All 7 were by authors I've previously read
  • 2 were adult books, 1 YA, and 4 middle grade books
  • 3 were horror and 4 urban fantasy

Books read this month:


I started the month with some Percy Jackson re-reads. I enjoyed the books, obviously. They were a lot of fun but I honestly forgot how traumatizing The House of Hades was 😭 Poor Percy and Annabeth... they really went through it. Parasite was a decent sci-fi horror. Nothing amazing, but it was pretty horrifying which is what I wanted out of it. Lol. And Forbidden Secrets was another fine Fear Street book. Again, nothing amazing, but I loved the horror factor and the fact that the Fear family was present.


Dead Space was my first DNF of the year. I read about 76 pages before I gave up on it. It was just so boring! The amount of exposition dumps that went into tangents irrelevant to the plot almost put me to sleep. And then another book titled Parasite, this one I really liked! It's another sci-fi horror, but this one takes place on Earth and it was horrifying. I loved it! πŸ˜†And then I ended the month with even more Percy Jackson! I finished my re-read of The Heroes of Olympus, which I enjoyed, and then I started on The Trials of Apollo, finally! The Hidden Oracle was ridiculous but a lot of fun! It was fun following the god Apollo after he was turned into a mortal.

Favorite book of the month:

I loved my re-read of The Heroes of Olympus! But if I had to pick books that were not re-reads...


It would probably be these two! Which accurately represents the type of month I had... some fun mythological adventures with some horror sprinkled in between.

Least favorite book of the month:


All the books I read this month I liked to one extent or another... except for this one. I couldn't even finish it. Lol.

Books reviewed this month:


How to Survive a Horror Movie by Seth Grahame-Smith | ★★★★★
The Mystery of the Exploding Teeth by Thomas Morris | ★★★☆☆
Japanese Demystified by Eriko Sato | ★★★★☆


Krimson Flicker (Krimson Empire #0.4) by Julia Huni | ★★★★☆
A Sprinkle of Krimson (Tales of a Former Space Janitor #4.5, Krimson Empire #4.5) by Julia Huni | ★★★★★
The Darenti Paradox (Colonial Explorer Corps #4) by Julia Huni | ★★★★☆
The Darenti Incongruity (Colonial Explorer Corps #0.5) by Julia Huni | ★★★★☆


You're Not Supposed to Die Tonight by Kalynn Bayron | ★★★☆☆
A New Fear (Fear Street Sagas #1) by R.L. Stine | ★★★☆☆
Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan | ★★★★☆

Other posts:


Percy Jackson


Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read the series or any book by Mira Grant, they always sound so good! Especially if it was one of your top reads. Here's hoping June is a good reading month for us both!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read this and Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant and they are SO good! She just does horror really well and I highly recommend them!

      Delete