Saturday, October 1, 2022

Spooky TBR


It's Spooky Season which means it is time for the spooky reads! Although to be fair, I read spooky books year round 😂 I'm obviously not gonna get through all of these books, especially not with my finicky mood that changes all the time, but these books are the ones that are currently on my radar! I've got a little bit of everything!


Adult:


Shutter is this horror/mystery thriller where the main character is a forensic photographer... but she also sees dead people 👻 Mysteries are unraveled, thrills are had... I’m excited to read this one!

Into the Drowning Deep is a horror novel with killer mermaids maybe? 😧 That’s all I know, and all I need to know. Lol.

And then volume 2 of Maniac of New York is out and I didn't even realize it. Lol. I read volume 1 at the beginning of the year and I really enjoyed it!


Wrong Place Wrong Time is, of course, a mystery thriller. This one has this sort of time loop thing going on where a mom is trying to figure out why/maybe stop her son from committing a murder. It sounds really interesting!

The House Across the Lake is a mystery thriller. I’ve liked most of Riley Sager’s books to one degree or another... except for Survive the Night. That one was not it 😬 I hope this one will be better!

Volume 4 of Tales for the Gas Station has been out for a while, but I'm waiting for the audiobook to come out. I don't know exactly when it will be out, but I'm thinking sometime soon? Idk. As soon as it's out I'm gonna devour it though! Lol.


Young Adult:


Mere Mortals isn't really a mystery thriller or horror... this one is more just paranormal. It's a coming of age story about vampires. Oh, but it's not about humans adjusting to being vampires, no. This is about vampires who suddenly become mere mortals, if you will 😉 and they're trying to adjust to the human world. I love that twist on the trope! I'm excited to read it!

Blood of My Blood is the last book in the I Hunt Killers trilogy (also a mystery thriller) where the main character helps the police catch serial killers. Oh, and his dad is a freaking serial killer, too 😨 I am very excited to read this one! Not only because I’m horrible at finishing series and this will help me complete one lol, but I just really like this series and its premise.

Haunting the Deep has magic and witches and a curse tied to the Titanic?? Yeahhh, I'm in! This is also the last book in a duology, so this would be another series done.


How to Survive Your Murder is yet another mystery thriller, this one also has a time loop (I apparently like time loops lol) with the main character trying to prevent her sister from being murdered 😬

And I realized that I have not read a single Fear Street/R.L. Stine book this year, so I'm gonna try and change that, since I have a couple spinoff series I have yet to read.


Middle Grade:


And I've been in the mood for spooky MG books ever since I read Wretched Waterpark back in the Spring. And the sequel to that book, Vampiric Vacation, just came out! I'm so excited! I'm really loving this spooky, wacky series!

And then I actually asked Kiersten White for some recommendations that were similar to her MG books, and she recommended The Clackity and Small Spaces! She said they're a little darker than her Sinister Summer series, but I'm still very excited to read them!


Ravenfall I saw someone add to their TBR on Goodreads, and I was immediately intrigued! Plus that cover is so pretty!

And Paola Santiago and the River of Tears... La freaking Llorona is in this book! You can't get more spooky than that!


Non-fiction:


And then my thing this year has been nonfiction horror books, so I found a couple more of those! Screaming for Pleasure is about horror in general, and how it apparently makes you happy and healthy? What?? I need to know more! Lol.

And then the next two are both science about monsters, which I am very intrigued by.


Sleeping with the Lights On is another history of horror type book.

And the last two books are about Japanese monsters and ghosts! Super excited about those as well!


Let me know if you've read any of these books or what is on your TBR list for the month! I always welcome spooky recommendations! And lately, especially if they're of the nonfiction variety!

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read WRONG PLACE, WRONG TIME. I bought RAVENFALL, so hopefully I'll read that one soon!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong Place, Wrong Time sounds so good! I think it was you that I saw add Ravenfall on GR 😂

      Delete
  2. The Japanese ghost and monster guides look cool. Japanese mythology has some interesting monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I recently got back into studying Japanese, and that's sort of what prompted me to put these on my tbr. Lol.

      Delete