Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 Reading Stats


I love doing this post every year and seeing how things change from one year to another. I also love numbers and books, so there's that ๐Ÿ˜‰



The stats are gonna be very interesting this year. Starting off with this, I only read one omnibus, one short story, and one graphic novel. Last year I read many, many more novellas, graphic novels, and even manga. Oh, and this year I read 12 books less than in 2019 ๐Ÿ™ˆ Overall though, I read 55 books in 2020.


This chart makes me sad. I enjoy a good re-read, but this year I only re-read one book! Last year I re-read 10!


This graph is interesting for multiple reasons. First of all, that dip from 15 to 3... yikes! We all know what happened in March, so that's why that dip is there. The only reason I went back up to 6 in April is because I did a readathon to try and get my groove back. As you can see, it didn't work ๐Ÿ˜… The second thing about this that is interesting is that my reading throughout the rest of the year was mostly consistent. In previous years, I go into reading slumps every couple of months and the severe dips in the graph shows. But not this year, even though I've felt like I've been in a perpetual reading slump since March. Oh and November... It was just a really bad month personally and I couldn't muster the inspiration to read.


And here is a more in detail look with pages read. I read 55 books and a total of 14,718 pages.


Oooh this graph is more staircase-y than last year ๐Ÿ˜‚ Just like last year though, my most read page range is in the 100s, and I bet it's those Fear Street books. Unlike this year though, last year I read some bigger books in the 700 and 800 page range.


This chart is pretty much the same as it was last year. Except last year I read 2 more ARCs than I did this year ๐Ÿคท‍♀️


This chart is pretty similar to last year as well, except I didn't read as many paperbacks. The Kindle & Audiobook section is for the one audiobook I listened to while following along with the ebook, same as last year. I'm just not really into audiobooks otherwise cause I feel like I'll miss something if I'm not paying close attention ๐Ÿคท‍♀️


Just like most years, my main source of books remains me ๐Ÿ˜‚ I am trying to get my tbr pile under control, and even though I mostly read books I buy myself, it doesn't seem to be working ๐Ÿ˜‚ It probably has to do with the fact that I keep adding to the collection ๐Ÿคท‍♀️๐Ÿ˜‚ Anyway, last year I read significantly more library books (27!), but not this year.


This chart I thought was another interesting one when compared to the stats from last year, but I'm starting to think that the one from last year was the interesting one ๐Ÿค” I love my series, you know I do, but in 2018 I read 19 standalones (25% of the total books read), in 2019 I only read 4 standalones (4% of the total books read), and this year 12 books, about 22% of the total books read, were standalones! I guess 2019 was the odd year out ๐Ÿคท‍♀️ Lol.


And just like last year, I started more series than I finished ๐Ÿคฆ‍♀️๐Ÿ˜‚ But last year I started both more series and finished more series.


This one is quite different from last year. Last year I had significantly more 5-star reads (48!), but, and this is weird now, I read the same amount of 4- and 3-star books as well (19 and 19) ๐Ÿคจ I had no 2-star reads last year, but this year I had no 1-star reads or DNFs. This chart explains why I've felt like I've read so many mediocre books this year *sigh* Especially compared to the 48 5-star book I read last year ๐Ÿ˜ฉ


And this pretty much remained the same from last year. The Fear Street books from the 90s, and everything else from the 2010s and forward.


And here are the years broken down even further. Just like last year, this year there is a dip in the 2000s and early 2010s, which is very interesting. I read a lot stuff from the 90s and a lot of stuff from more recent years, but not so much from the middle ๐Ÿคท‍♀️


This year I read two more indie books than I did last year!


In recent years, the publisher whose books I read the most from has been Archway Paperback. And if you guessed that they're the ones who published Fear Street, you'd be right! ๐Ÿ˜‚


This chart is pretty much always the same every year. I don't even try, it just sort of happens somehow ๐Ÿคท‍♀️๐Ÿ˜‚


This is something new I started keeping track of, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But what I do know is that I want to read more books by POC authors because wow ๐Ÿ˜ฌ


This one also remains largely the same. I like what I like so I read stuff from author's whose work I've read before or just series I'm trying to complete. However, I did read 5 more books from new-to-me authors than I did last year. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and discover more stuff from author's I haven't read before, and compared to last year, I did okay this year ๐Ÿ˜…


This one is significantly different from last year. Last year the winner was the alternating POV of Male & Female (55%), second place was Female POV (38%), and I only read one less book with a Male POV this year. The only way I can explain this is that last year I read a bunch of Shadowhunter books AND Bleach manga, both with alternating POVs.


And this chart pretty much flip-flopped from last year, also from having read the Shadowhunter books and Bleach manga.


This chart is more consistent with my stats from 2018 cause in 2019 I read a bunch of manga. And I don't really know what category manga/graphic novels fall under, so I just gave them their own category. If you know, let me know! ๐Ÿ˜…


This one is pretty much the same as last year, except this year there's a new addition of New Adult.


This one had very minimal change from last year. Two of my top categories remain UF and mystery/thrillers. And this year I read more horror than I did last year. The fantasy category is back down to normal since I don't read much fantasy. For the last couple of years I've only read ONE fantasy book per year. But last year it was significantly higher because I considered the Bleach manga fantasy. And one last change is that there are quite a bit more historical fiction books than my one from last year. That's the Stalking Jack the Ripper series which I REFUSE to put under mystery/thriller!


These next two charts are also new data points I decided to keep track of. This first one is basically the amount of time a book spent on my TBR list before I actually read it. And I determined this by looking at the date of when this book was added to my TBR shelf on Goodreads. It's probably not terribly accurate, but it's the best I could do ๐Ÿคท‍♀️ I thought this one was really interesting because I own SO many books, and yet I apparently tend to read the ones that I've added more recently to my TBR. Although I suppose it makes sense because those books are more fresh in my mind. As for the books that have been on my TBR list for 10 years... yep, those are them Fear Street books. Always the outliers ๐Ÿ˜‚


And this last chart is the amount of time I've owned a book (or had it borrowed from the library in some cases) before I actually read it. This is interesting because I don't understand the dip for the books I have owned exactly for a year ๐Ÿ˜‚ What happened there?? Otherwise it makes sense that I would read the books I've acquired more recently, again, because they're probably just more fresh in my mind.


And here we have the money I spent on the books I read in 2020. I always like looking at this one because I get books from the library or from places like Book Outlet and Thriftbooks, so sometimes the books I get are cheaper than they otherwise would be.


That being said, I spent SO MUCH money on books this year! ๐Ÿ™ˆ These are the books I bought in 2020, but not necessarily read. As you can see, I am super into those book boxes, and those tend to be a little on the expensive side because they have a lot of really cute items that are related to the book. I think my wallet hates me ๐Ÿ˜‚


And that's it for this years reading stats. I love numbers, so this is always fun for me to do. I just hope it's at least marginally interesting to read ๐Ÿ˜‚

4 comments:

  1. I looove looking at stats like this and totally missed doing it when I was on my blogging hiatus. I'm definitely going to get back into it this year though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so excited you're going to do them again! It's definitely one of my favorite things to do!

      Delete
  2. I love how many things you track! I especially think it's interesting to see stats like how long it was on your TBR (I might have to add that to my spreadsheet) and POVs.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The TBR ones were new this year, and I definitely found it interesting! I'd love to see what those stats would look like for you!

      Delete