Monday, May 1, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #314: My First DNF of the Year


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Date and Unleashing Reads.


DNF:


This book was terrible. So terrible that I DNFd it at 23%. The premise sounded interesting but good god I could not take the racism or sexism in the book. The crew consists of 7 people and 2 of them are female, and at one point one of the guys was like, oh it's a good thing the women are both attractive because it could be a long year.... like they weren't 2 professionals there to do a job and instead were there to entertain him 🙃 I was out. This completely ruined my mood for anymore horror books that take place under/on the water 😠


What I read:


I was very excited to read Lying in the Deep, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I don't usually suffer from secondhand embarrassment, unless it's a contemporary, but even then it's never been as bad as reading this book. The MC made bad decision after bad decision and... I usually enjoy I good trainwreck, but I didn't here. It wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't for me.

The Scourge Between the Stars was a space horror and it was okay. It was a very short, suspenseful read, but it just wasn't anything amazing.

Quackery on the other hand, I loved! It was intriguing and engaging, and just really fun to read! I highly recommend this nonfiction book!


Currently reading:



Up next:


After the not great week of reading, I don't really know what I want to read next, so I may go back to another Julia Huni book because I know I like her stuff. Lol.


What are you reading this week?

2 comments:

  1. I don't finish books I don't enjoy anymore. Glad you really liked one of the books you read. I just finished Nic Blake and the Remarkables. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get better at dropping books I'm not liking. Deep Black Sea was very easy for me to put down lol

      Delete