Friday, May 26, 2023

Review: We Jace you a Clary Xmas by Cassandra Clare

Title: We Jace you a Clary Xmas

Series: The Mortal Instruments | The Dark Artifices

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publication date: December 2020

Published by: Cassandra Clare

Genre: YA, urban fantasy

Source: Newsletter freebie

Add it on Goodreads

Synopsis: "A Holiday Compendium of Clace Extras"

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Awake
Jace's first meeting with Clary in City of Bones, from Isabelle's point of view

2. When Midnight Comes
Jace's view of his first kiss with Clary

3. Because It Is Bitter
The scene that takes place during pages 170-174 of City of Ashes, in the chapter ​The Seelie Court​, here from Jace’s point of view. Boy, is Jace bitter here.

4. Jace POV Manor Scene
Over the years, many people have asked for this — Jace’s point of view of the “hot and heavy” scene in THIS GUILTY BLOOD, Chapter Nine of City of Glass. I’ve taken a few liberties here — the scene goes on a few moments past what happens in the printed version of CoG — but then so did the original draft!

5. The Act of Falling
Jace’s perspective on the alleyway kiss in City of Fallen Angels

6. Our Waking Souls
Jace and Clary connect during a trip to Faerie, takes place during Lord of Shadows

7. A Long Conversation
Jace and Clary marriage proposal, take one.

8. A Love That Never Tires
Jace and Clary marriage proposal, take two.

My rating: ★★★★★

A collection of short stories just about Clary and Jace? Yes please!


This was so freaking good! Just Clary and Jace, and I could not be more okay with it 😆 Best Christmas gift ever! Lol. My favorite story was definitely Our Waking Souls, though I did enjoy them all. Plus, I just really loved all the Jace POVs. It’s always so interesting to see what’s going on inside that head of his.


Awake

This first story is when the gang first met Clary in City of Bones, but in Jace's POV. This was so cool. What a throwback. It's been a minute since I last read City of Bones, but this was really cool to read. How he saw Clary, the way he felt, Isabelle saying it was like he was finally awake... It was so good!


When Midnight Comes

This was another City of Bones scene in Jace’s POV, and this one was of their first kiss! I loved this! Jace was so sweet! I love that there’s more to him under that arrogant exterior. It was also heartbreaking because the scene extends to when freaking Simon interrupts them. Ugh. Simon. Back when I didn’t like him 😆


Because it is Bitter

This one was rough. Also in Jace’s POV, this scene is the one where they’re in the Seelie court and the queen basically forces Jace and Clary to kiss. I know they're not siblings, but I can't lie that Jace calling Clary his sister is weird 😬 But then Jace saying that what made Clary different to him is that she saw the real him, saw through his defenses... I’m crying 😭


City of Glass Manor Scene - Jace POV

Oh, I remember loving this scene in the book, for obvious reasons 😏 And omg, for this being YA, this got quite spicy! Not that I didn’t enjoy it. Lol. I loved it! But it was also heartbreaking at the same time because this happened during the time that Jace thought he had demon blood 😭 And again, this was another in Jace’s POV! Honestly, I adore Jace, so I’m loving all of his POVs. Lol.


The Act of Falling

This one takes place during City of Fallen Angels as Jace struggles with terrible nightmares. More spiciness ensued, and I enjoyed it. But also, my poor Jace 😭


Our Waking Souls

This short story is in Clary’s POV and it takes place during Lord of Shadows while Clary and Jace are in Faerie. I always wanted more of them trekking through Faerie on their mission, so I was happy we got this one. Although, like most of the other stories, this revolved more around their relationship and good was this spicy! Especially for it being YA! Omg! It was good though! The way Clary talked about her feelings for Jace, the dreams she was having, and her just wanting him to be happy... I literally almost cried! But it was so good! Plus, they had some really good banter, which I always enjoy.


A Long Conversation

This short story was originally at the end of Lady Midnight, and it features some of the characters from TMI. They’re at Simon and Izzy’s engagement party, which OMG they’re getting married 😍 And the way Simon proposed was SO on brand, I loved it!

We got a lot of fun character interactions, including a sassy Alec, where we catch up with him and Magnus. But the main part of this story is a proposal...



But yeah, this was a very fun short story about my favorite characters that took place just before they showed up in Lady Midnight.


A Love that Never Tires

And this one was originally at the end of Queen of Air and Darkness. It takes place after the book when Jace and Clary sneak off and they reminisce about the old days and I was crying again! 😭 I mean, Clary seeing the boy Jace used to be...

The one who did not expect love, only a raised hand or a sharp sword.




Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? If not, what do you think? Does it sound like something you might want to read? Leave me a link to your review or comment below! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment