Thursday, May 11, 2023

My First DNF of 2023... Deep Black Sea by David M. Salkin

Title: Deep Black Sea

Series: Deep Black Sea #1

Author: David M. Salkin

Genre: Adult, horror

Publication date: June 2014

Published by: Permuted Press

Source: Borrowed ebook from library

Find it on Goodreads

Synopsis: A crew of seven aboard a specially designed research submarine sit three miles down in the dark world beneath the sea. When they bring aboard the bacteria that enables certain animals to survive in the seven-hundred degree poisonous water of the black smoker, they have no idea that one of the researchers plans on using them as his test subjects.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

Good god... this book ruined my mood for aquatic horror, and as a mood reader, I don't appreciate that. Lol.


I gave this book a try though, I really did. I read about 23% of it before I decided that I was done with it. I usually feel bad about abandoning books, which is something I'm trying to get better at, but I did not feel bad in the slightest about DNFing this one.


The first thing that I realized did not bode well for me and this book was that the prologue read kind of dry. My eyes glazed over and I just did not care. But that was the least of my problems. This expedition had a crew of seven people, scientists, and engineers, and that sort of thing, and two of them were female. Do you see where I’m going with this? These two women were objectified so much, I just could not. I nearly lost it when one of the guys said that it was a good thing both of the women were attractive because it could be a long year...


Like they weren't two professionals there to do a job! WTF dude! They are not there to entertain you! Argh!


And sexism wasn't the only terrible thing about this, no, because the cherry on top was the borderline racist jokes 🙃


23% is all I could take of this. And I'm glad I stopped there because according to a review I read, things only get worse.



Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? If not, what do you think? Does it sound like something you might want to read? Leave me a link to your review or comment below! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment