Monday, December 30, 2019

My Favorite Books of the Decade!



I've seen a lot of these types of posts floating around and I thought it would be fun to do... until I sat down to look through my books... Oh man, what I nightmare! 😬 Especially since I decided I wanted to complicate things for myself 🙄😂 First, I'm not including re-reads or novellas (which means no early TMI 😭), and I'm only including ONE book per series, otherwise I would just have nonstop Shadowhunters and Jennifer Estep books down the whole list 😅 Lol. And last, for every year I'm gonna pick some favorite books that were published that year as well as some favorite books I read that year but weren't necessarily published that year. Make sense? No? Cool. Let's go! 😉


2010

Books published in 2010:

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)

Of course I gotta start off with some Shadowhunters! I absolutely love the Shadowhunter world, so I was very excited when Clockwork Angel came out. I was also a little hesitant because I'm not really into historical-type books, but The Infernal Devices turned out to be as great as The Mortal Instruments! The Body Finder is a supernatural, mystery/thriller type book and it is so good! It's been a hot minute since I read this, but I'm hoping to get back to this series soon because I still have not finished it 😅

Books read in 2010:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)

2010 was the year I read Percy Jackson for the first time... can you believe it?? But I read it and I fell in love with the world immediately! I already loved Greek mythology as it was, but after reading The Lightning Thief, I became just obsessed. Lol. My Soul to Take was also amazing! I love the Soul Screamers series (it's also another series I need to finish 😅)! It has a really interesting concept and the series just has the best, most seamless love triangle I have ever read... and we all know how much I hate love triangles. So to say that I love this one is just 🤯

2011

Books published in 2011:

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)

Anna Dressed in Blood is one of the best horror books I have read! I loved the premise of it and I loved how spooky it was, but I also love the connection Anna and Cas had 🥰 Oh, and then there's Mythos Academy 💕 This is one of my favorite series of ALL TIME! I adore the world, I adore the characters, I adore Logan freaking Quinn 😍 Jennifer Estep is probably my favorite author ever because literally everything she writes I love. And this series will always have a special place in my heart because it is what introduced me to her writing. Now, the reason I picked Kiss of Frost, the second book in the series, over Touch of Frost, book one, is because not only do I love the setting, but also it is the book were Logan and Gwen have their first kiss and it is just 😍😍😍

Books read in 2011:

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) Clarity (Clarity, #1)

Unearthly... back when angels where huge. And this book was quite amazing! It's also another series I need to finish 😅 It's a trend around here. Lol. Anyway, this book did the angel thing really well, the premise was interesting, and I loved the romance! Man, I really need to finish this one. Lol. Clarity is a sort of mystery with a girl with cool abilities. I loved the mystery in this and I liked Clare and her cool power and just the fact that the whole town knows that she and her family are psychics... that was very different!

2012

Books published in 2012:

Investigating the Hottie Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Juli Alexander is another author whose writing I really enjoy regardless of what she writes. It is just so much fun and the relationships are really cute! Investigating the Hottie is a really cute spy book I enjoyed immensely! And Cinder... I love Cinder! Fall 2019 is when I finally binge read The Lunar Chronicles and I fell madly in love with the series! I'm kinda mad at myself for not reading it sooner because it is just so good! The sci-fi/futuristic elements are so well intertwined with the fairy tale retellings and I just can't get enough! 🥰

Books read in 2012:

Croak (Croak, #1) Splintered (Splintered, #1)

Croak is such a fun book! Yes it is about death and reapers, but the writing and the characters are so funny, I just love it! Besides this book and the sequel, I have not read anything else by the author, but I certainly want to! Splintered I read back in the day before it turned into a trilogy. I really loved it and I was excited to learn that there would be more books in the series... but have I read them yet? Of course not. Who do you think I am? Some one who is up to date on all of her series? Pffft no. Lol. I do want to finish this series though because this Alice in Wonderland retelling was just amazing and the world itself was vivid and beautiful! It's definitely a place I want to visit again.

2013

Books published in 2013:

The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1) No Angel

The Nightmare Affair was really fun and cute and had a very interesting concept in that the main character is a nightmare... literally! I really loved this book, and yes, this is another series I need to finish 😅 I don't know why I do this... I love a book but then I don't finish the series... I don't know why! Lol. No Angel is a standalone novel, surprisingly, I know. Lol. But it was really cute! It's basically about a guy who is the first male to be admitted into an all-girls school. Lol. There's also angel stuff which was very interesting, and I just overall loved it.

Books read in 2013:

Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1) The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)

Stirring up Trouble is witch-y and magical and I loved it! The romance is super cute, the magical mishaps were hilarious, and I just adore this! And of course, I had to include a Rick Riordan book. I love all of his books, but the reappearance of Percy in The Son of Neptune after him being missing in The Lost Hero was just everything! It was so good and I love this series and all the characters and the fun/scary adventures they find themselves in!

2014

Books published in 2014:

Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper is such a good series! It's, obviously, about ghosts. Lol. Ghosts and ghost hunting and ghost trapping... it's really cool! And I love the characters! And I of course had to throw in an OG Shadowhunters book. Like, duh, I adore this series! 2019 is the year I finally finished the series and... I don't think I'm okay yet 🤷‍♀️ Did it make me cry? Yes. But did I love it anyway? Also yes 😂

Books read in 2014:

My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2) Silent Night (Silent Night, #1: Fear Street Super Chillers, #2)

Janette Rallison's writing is magical. It's so much fun, the romance is always really sweet, and the Fairy Godmother in Training, Chrissy, is the worst Fairy Godmother EVER... And I love it! I feel so bad for the heroines because Chrissy always get their wishes wrong and then they are left to fend for themselves, which, yikes! But it's just so funny 😂 Silent Night is one of my favorite Fear Street books with a main character I love to hate. Reva is such a bitch and she deserves everything that happens to her in this book 🤷‍♀️ Lol.

2015

Books published in 2015:

Paxton Private Investigations (Paxton Private Investigations, #1) Powerless (The Hero Agenda, #1)

Paxton Private Investigations was really fun! It had a really intriguing mystery, lovable characters, and a really sweet romance, as most Juli Alexander books tend to have. Powerless is a superhero book about a girl who is, well, powerless, and lives in a world full of super-powered humans. It was really interesting and really good and you just question who the heroes really are 🤔

Books read in 2015:

The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2) Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade, #1)

The Suffering is the sequel to The Girl from the Well which is about the ghost of a girl who kills child murders. That's pretty cool in and of itself, but what's even cooler is that this girl and the creepy girl Samara from The Ring are based on the same Japanese legend/story! I recently re-watched that movie and it still freaks me out 😨 Anyway, the sequel takes place in what's known as Suicide Forest in Japan and that setting is just super creepy and I loved it! Cold Burn of Magic on the other hand has really cool magic in a really cool tourist town full of monsters. I loved it, but you should not be surprised because this is another Jennifer Estep book 😅

2016

Books published in 2016:

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy Holding Court

So I know I said I was only going to include one book per series, but Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy is more of a sidequel, so it counts! Lol. Anyway, I'm a little surprised this one made the cut just because of how much I disliked Simon in the first three TMI books. But by the end of City of Fallen Angels he'd grown on me, and by the end of City of Heavenly Fire I just loved him! He is such a good, sweet character and I loved that he got a book dedicated just to himself. Holding Court was a really cute contemporary/mystery type book. The romance was really cute and the mystery was interesting. I think the book did a really good job balancing the mystery with the cuteness.

Books read in 2016:

Sisters of Blood and Spirit (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit #1) Practical Applications for Multiverse Theory

Sisters of Blood and Spirit had a very interesting premise and twin sisters, one dead and one alive, that I just loved. It was also very heartfelt and I need to read the sequel asap! Who's surprised? No one 😅 Practical Applications for the Multiverse Theory was amazing! It had lots of fun, weird alternate realities bleeding into our own, and it was just hilarious! I could not stop laughing! I really enjoyed this one!

2017

Books published in 2017:

Final Girls Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales

Here I've got an adult and a middle grade novel respectively, which I actually don't read a lot of. You know I'm all about the YA. But every once in I venture out and find some gems. Final Girls is one of the best mystery/thrillers I have read! The mystery was great and kept me guessing all the way through. And then that plot twist at the end... Damn! So good! Beanstalker was also amazing! It was a little creepy and a whole lot of funny! Kiersten White did such a fantastic job intertwining fairy tales and nursery rhymes with some spookiness here and there. I highly recommend this one!

Books read in 2017:

Spartan Heart (Mythos Academy: Colorado #1) It's a Mall World After All

I've mentioned before how the Mythos Academy series will always hold a special place in my heart, so you can imagine my excitement when I found that there was going to be a spinoff series! 😁 This series revolves around Gwen's cousin Rory, and it was just amazing! I adored Spartan Heart and all the new characters it introduced. This is a trilogy and the last book in the series comes out in just a few weeks, so you definitely need to check it out! And you will be surprised to find It's a Mall World After All on my list because *gasp* it's a contemporary 😱 I just really love Janette Rallison's books and she is basically what is getting me to step into that contemporary pool. This book was really cute and Janette always writes the sweetest romances 🥰 And she also puts her characters through some really awkward and hilarious situations and I just love it 😂

2018

Books published in 2018:

Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1) You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)

Yup, more Jennifer Estep 😏 Kill the Queen was her first foray into epic fantasy and it was great! Which is really saying something since fantasy isn't really my thing 🤷‍♀️ But she just writes amazing stories with lovable characters and I just can't help but enjoy it. Lol. And You May Now Kill the Bride was a fantastic re-introduction to Fear Street! You all know how much I love Fear Street, so I was very excited when this new Return to Fear Street was announced! I really enjoyed the book and the supernatural element to it and I always love when the Fear family is involved. I just think that makes things more fun... especially with their Fear family magic 😈

Books read in 2018:

Evil Librarian Haunted (Fear Street, #7)

Evil Librarian was really fun and cute and I can't believe I never knew about this book before 2018! What the heck! The main character was so fun to follow the the romance was really cute and the demon librarian was a pretty cool concept! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series because, yes, this is another one I have yet to finish 😅 One more Fear Street book! This time it's from the OG series from the 90s! Haunted had an interesting story with an amazing plot twist and I definitely think it's one of the best OG Fear Street books! Basically this ghost starts haunting the main character accusing her of killing him... but she didn't kill him... 🤔 Anyway, it's really interesting and I recommend this one!

2019

Books published in 2019:

Sharpest Sting (Elemental Assassin, #18) The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)

Another Jennifer Estep series I adore and is one of my all-time favorites is the Elemental Assassin. Gin is badass but very caring when it comes to her friends and family. And I don't know how Jennifer does it, but every book just keeps getting better and better! I love it! The Babysitter's Coven was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the premise! This is one of the books I was looking forward to reading last year and it definitely lived up to my expectations!

Books read in 2019:

Tales from the Gas Station: Volume One Color Bleach+: The Bleach Official Bootleg

Tales from the Gas Station was a surprise in that I didn't know it existed until recently... but I loved it! It is just such a weird world with weird but lovable characters. And the situations they find themselves in are strange and sometimes creepy, but that's what makes this book great! It is such a great blend of horror and comedy! This year I also read manga for the first time, and Color Bleach+ is almost supplemental to the main series, but I really loved it! There are some colored panels with lots of fun character information. I definitely want to read more manga in the near future!


And that's it! It took me like 3-4 days to put this together, but it's done! 😅

Let me know what some of your favorite books of the decade were!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you split your list into published dates and read dates---such a great idea! And I always love to see someone else who's a fan of Evil Librarian. I loved it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was hard work, but I really wanted to do this 😅
    Evil Librarian is a lot of fun! I need to read more of this author's books!

    ReplyDelete