Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2019 Reading Stats



Happy New Year! ๐Ÿฅณ

This has probably got to be one of my favorite posts to write! I just love numbers and graphs and all that stuff... especially when it comes to books! Let's take a look at things and see how they changed from last year.




This year I read 3 more books than I did last year. With the addition of manga (and one graphic novel), which was a new medium for me this year, that's 86 books, or 121 in total!



This year I re-read double the amount of books as I did last year. I guess I was just in a re-reading type of mood ๐Ÿคท‍♀️ Lol.



And here you can see all the reading slumps I fell in throughout the year ๐Ÿ˜… I don't know why but April and May always get me. Always. Last year I only read one book in April and another book in May... it's the strangest thing!



My sweet spot remains the books between 100-400 pages. But unlike last year, this year I read some 600 page books, a 700 page book, and an 800 page book. And I am willing to bet that most of those where Shadowhunter books... those things keep getting bigger by the book! Lol. Oh! Actually, that 800 page book was definitely Winter by Marissa Meyer, the last book in The Lunar Chronicles. And somehow, I managed to finish it in under two days ๐Ÿ˜…



This pie chart is pretty much exactly the same as it was last year. I'm still not taking as many review copies as I used, but this year I read one more ARC than in 2018!



This pie chart is also very similar to the one from last year. The only difference is that I read more paperbacks and slightly less ebooks. (Weird thing though, last year I read exactly 10 hardcover books as well ๐Ÿ˜ฒ)



Just like last year, my two main sources are books I purchased myself and books I borrowed from the library. This year I didn't read as many freebies as I did last year.



This chart is vastly different to the one from last year. Last year I read 19 standalone books, while this year I only read 4 ๐Ÿ˜… What can I say, I like series ๐Ÿคท‍♀️๐Ÿ˜‚



This year I started more series than last year, but I also finished more series! Last year I completed 5 and this year I completed 12! Yay!



This chart looks a little different than it did last year. Those 5-star reads are still at the top, but last year I read more 4-star than 3-star books. The graph last year basically looked like steps. Lol. Except last year I didn't DNF any books, and this year I DNFd 2.



This bar graph, on the other hand, is pretty much the same as last year. Most books I read were published in the 2010s, followed by those Fear Street books that were published in the 90s. The only difference in this chart is the addition of the 2020s!! So crazy! But yeah, I read one 2020 ARC this year.



And here is a more in depth look at that. I typically read the most books published in the year we're currently in, but this year the winner was 2016, which if I remember correctly were the Bleach manga I read and a handful of Shadowhunter books.



The top two publishers I read the most from are Archway paperback (like last year, these are all those Fear Street books again ๐Ÿ˜…), and Viz Media (a new addition this year for the Bleach manga!)



Last year I actually read 5 more indie published books than this year ๐Ÿ˜ฌ



Last year this pie chart was pretty much a 50/50 split, but this year, between all the Fear Street and Bleach, one side has the clear edge.



Going through these charts I'm realizing I didn't venture out of my comfort zone very much. This year I only read 7 books from authors I have never read before, while last year I read 18 books from new-to-me authors! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ



This is another chart that changed drastically from last year. Last year the winner in this category was female POV (54%!). But this year I read more books with multiple POVs that changed between male and female. So basically these two categories swapped places this year. Lol.



Another chart with swapped pieces! Last year I had read more single POV books than multiple POV.



More changes! Last year, 50% of the books I read were all from 1st person POV. Not this year though. And a new addition to the chart this year is the Manga/Graphic novel section because I don't really know what POV that medium would fall under ๐Ÿคท‍♀️



This one pretty much remained the same from last year... except for the fact that I read one nonfiction book last year, but that's pretty rare for me regardless.



This graph is also pretty similar to last year (no contemporaries this year, though), but I do have to explain myself regarding that Fantasy bar. I don't read a lot of epic fantasy... last year I read one book in that genre, this year I also read one book in that genre. BUT I read a bunch of manga that I feel like are definitely fantasy, so that's why it looks like I read a lot of fantasy this year. Lol.

And the last thing I kept track of was how much each book was... both the original price and how much I paid for them. Here are those number:

Original Price: $864.73
Price Paid: $346.87
Money Saved: $516.94

Damn. Thank you public library and Book Outlet! ๐Ÿ˜Œ


And that's all! I like numbers, so this was really fun for me to do. Hopefully it was fun to read? Lol.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You keep track of so many different things!! Quite impressive! It's really fun to look back at the reading year and see how it compares. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is fun! It's one of my favorite posts to do every year!

      Delete