Thursday, October 3, 2024

Book Recommendations for Spooky Season


I was unsure whether I was going to do this post this year because I just didn't feel like I've read enough 'spooky' books, but I think I have enough to put something together. These are all books I've read in the last year or so (you can see more spooky book recommendations here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.) Shockingly though, no mystery thrillers this time! I mean, I have read mystery thrillers in the last year, but not any I was wowed by. I have lots of horror though! And some toward the end that are not scary, but the vibes fit for this time of year. Lol.


Fear Street, YA Mystery Horror:


First up, Fear Street because a spooky post isn't a spooky post without some Fear Street. Lol. I have actually been itching to re-read some of the original Fear Street books, which I might do, but lately, I've been slowly making my way through the Fear Street Sagas. These books can be hit or miss, but I really enjoyed House of Whispers! I loved getting to see more of Angelica Fear—she is one of my favorite Fears! She is crazy and evil and I really appreciated that we got to learn more about her in this book. I also loved the magic and the gory descriptions! This book may be ghostwritten, but I really enjoyed it!


Adult Supernatural Horror:


Miracle Mountain is book 20 in the Ellie Jordan series, which is a series about hauntings and trapping ghosts and all that good stuff. Each of these books has a self-contained story, so you could read them as standalones if you wanted, I suppose. BUT the first book in the series, Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, is permanently FREE on Amazon sooo 👀 Anyway, in Miracle Mountain Ellie and Stacey investigate a haunting up in the mountains and I really enjoyed it! The setting sounded beautiful, and the creepy ghosts haunting the place was a nice contrast. Plus, the banter between the characters... it was SO good!

And the Tales from the Gas Station was so much fun! This is the last book in the series and I enjoyed it! I enjoyed this series as a whole! I don't even know how to describe it lol... it's a horror comedy where weird things happen in a shitty gas station at the edge of town. Lol. It is SO funny! I love it! I listened to this on audio and read it at the same time because I just love the narrator, MrCreepypasta. And I actually discovered this story on YouTube back when these books weren't books but just short stories. If you are curious, this is the Tales from the Gas Station playlist 👀 The first video is only 13 minutes long. I highly recommend it!


Adult Sci-Fi Horror:


2389 was such a good space horror! It's set in an abandoned amusement park on the MOON and you are following the characters as they try to find out what happened with everybody. And let me tell you, they find out 😬

I also started the Parasitology trilogy earlier this year. I always say this (because it's true lol) but the horror/sci-fi combo that Mira Grant writes into her books is SO good! The horror aspect is great, and the science is always really interesting! This trilogy is weird, I also don't know how to describe this one. Lol. Basically, in this alternate future, almost everyone has a genetically modified tapeworm implanted. Yikes, I know. BUT this tapeworm helps! It's tailored to each individual person and helps by secreting medications and other helpful stuff like that. Except that the parasites start fighting back... 😬 It is SO good! It is horrifying and interesting all at the same time! Plus, I just really like the characters! I'm hoping to read the last book in the trilogy this month! I am very excited to see how this all ends!


And these next two are novellas by Mira Grant, also with good horror and interesting science-y premises. In Final Girls, a reporter goes to interview a doctor who developed this sort of VR as therapy. Somehow people living their nightmares in this hyperrealistic setting is helpful. Unfortunately for the characters, they get kinda stuck in this VR with outside forces meddling, turning this nightmare scenario up to 100 😬

And in Square³, one day giant monster rip through the fabric of reality causing all sorts of chaos of the physics variety. This one was bizarre, but I liked it! It was very alternate reality.


Adult Historical Fantasy:


It's weird that I added this to my Spooky Season list, but hear me out: this book was witchy and magical! There were moments in this book where Circe was just on her island collecting herbs and ingredients, talking with her lions and wolves, and making potions, and in those moments it was SO cozy and magical! I loved it! But listen, this is Greek mythology, and these stories aren't called Greek tragedies, for nothing. Lol. The book follows the life of Circe and it is tragic indeed. But I really loved this iteration of the famous sorceress! Plus, it was so beautifully written!


Middle Grade Urban Fantasy:


Another Greek mythology book and the fact that it's on this list is even weirder than the last, BUT HEAR ME OUT 😆 I just finished this book yesterday and it is literally perfect for reading this time of year! We got more witchy, magical goodness because Percy Jackson's next quest involves pet sitting for none other than the Greek goddess of magic herself, Hecate. And on top of that, this takes place on the last week of October, with the climax being on Halloween night!! (And there may or may not be a Halloween party 👀 lol) It was SO perfect! Not something I was expecting from a Percy Jackson book, but I loved every minute of it! It was just so fun!


Middle Grade Mystery:


And lastly is the Sinister Summer series! This is a really fun mystery series by Kiersten White that is a little spooky, but really funny! These are the last three books in the series and I just really enjoyed it overall. My favorite book of the series remains Wretched Waterpark, the first book, but overall it was a really solid series. I loved all the fun spooky literary references and I really liked seeing all the character growth by the end.


I hope you're having a great spooky season so far! Let me know what some of your favorite spooky reads are... I'm always looking for some horror and mystery thrillers to add to my neverending tbr pile! Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment