Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Monthly Wrap-Up: July 2023


It's August which means it's basically spooky season! 😆 Look, I hate summer so I've been ready for spooky season since June. Lol.

Anyway, in July I read 1 novella and 9 books, that's 10 books total (2814 pages) and the most I have read in a month so far this year! And it's due to the fact that I am terribly behind on my Goodreads challenge. Lol. I'm still trying to catch up 😆
  • 4 were part of a series, 6 were standalones
  • 7 were finished copies, 3 were ARCs
  • 3 were 5-star reads, 3 were 4-star reads, and 4 were 3-star reads
  • 4 were from new-to-me authors, and 6 from previously read authors
  • 3 were adult books, 7 were YA
  • 9 were fiction, 1 was nonfiction
  • 1 was urban fantasy, 1 high fantasy, 1 medical science, 1 sci-fi, 4 horror, 1 mystery thriller, and 1 romantic suspense

Books read this month:


The Mystery of the Exploding Teeth is a nonfiction book about weird historical medical cases. It was really interesting but it read dry in some places because of the excerpts from the historical medical journals. But it was still an enjoyable read.

It has been 10 years since I read the Soul Screamers series but I never actually finished it, so I started a re-read of the series this past month in hopes of finally finishing it. I started my re-read with the prequel, My Soul to Lose, and I honestly think I loved it more than the first time I read it! I've missed Rachel Vincent's writing, so I'm glad I'm finally getting back into it.

You're Not Supposed to Die Tonight I didn't enjoy as much and I thought I would. I just wasn't that big a fan of the direction the story headed. I wanted a more classic Jason Voorhees-type killer, but that's not what we got.

Covert Kisses is a collection of three romantic suspense short stories, and I really enjoyed them all! I always love the romance aspect in Janette Rallison's books, so I knew I was going to enjoy this one. They were just so cute!

War of Flesh and Metal is the last book in a YA sci-fi trilogy and I thought it was overall a pretty solid series. I loved the world and all the interesting technology, and the overall story was intriguing.


I don't read a lot of high fantasy books... I usually only read like one a year. I thought I had already read my one high fantasy of the year back in January with Conquer the Kingdom, but then I came across Four Dead Queens and I needed to read it immediately! It sounded so interesting! And I ended up really enjoying it! I loved the world, and the story itself was also really interesting! It was just great!

I love the Ellie Jordan series, so I'm always happy when we get another book in the series. In The Funtime Show, Ellie and Stacey investigate a haunting in a family home... That is filled with puppets. Creepy puppets. It was a very interesting mystery that the girls had to unravel.

Frightmares was a fun. It was set in a haunted house attraction, where one day the main character discovers the dead body of a co-worker 😨 I loved the setting, really liked the characters, and the mystery was also intriguing.

There's No Way I'd Die First is another book I didn't like as much as I thought I would. I liked the premise, but my issue with this one was the characters. It was just hard to feel empathic toward a bunch of entitled rich kids and social climbers. Some of the kills were cool though. Lol.

And the last book I read in July was One of Us is Lying. I have had this book on my TBR since it came out 6 years ago, and I'm only just getting around to it now 😅 But I loved it! It was so good! The mystery was intriguing and I really likes all the complex characters and the growth they went through. I'm mad that I don't have the sequel ready to read, but its on hold at the library so hopefully I'll have it soon! Meanwhile I might start watching the TV show 👀

Favorite books of the month:


It was a pretty solid month of reading, but if I had to narrow it down, I'd have to pick these three!

Least favorite books of the month:


None of the books were inherently bad, these two I just didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would.

Books reviewed this month:


The Supervillain and Me by Danielle Banas | ★★★★★
Scream, Jennifer, Scream! (New Fear Street #3) by R.L. Stine | ★★★★☆
The Bad Girl (New Fear Street #4) by R.L. Stine | ★★★☆☆
SuperNova (Heroes of Arcania #1) by Liz Long | ★★★☆☆


The Funtime Show (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #19) by J.L. Bryan | ★★★★☆
Being Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker #1) by Kelly Oram | ★★★★★
Heartless by Marissa Meyer | ★★★★★


Dreams of Flesh and Metal (Flesh and Metal #0.5) by Alicia Ellis | ★★★★☆
Girl of Flesh and Metal (Flesh and Metal #1) by Alicia Ellis | ★★★★☆
Clash of Flesh and Metal (Flesh and Metal #2) by Alicia Ellis | ★★★★☆
War of Flesh and Metal (Flesh and Metal #3) by Alicia Ellis | ★★★☆☆

Other posts:


2023 Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag
2023 Mid-Year Check In: Reading Challenges

2023 Mid-Year Check In: Reading Stats
Dewey's Reverse Readathon: July 2023



#6: Maybe This Time...


Let me know what your favorite read this month was and what you are looking forward to reading next month!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, your least favourites are in my TBR. I'm glad you liked Frightmares thiugh, I have that one too and I like spooky stories set in amusement parks. I hope you enjoy your next reads for August =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no 🙈 Lol. Tbh, I just think those two books were not for me. But you may still like them! Frightmares was good though!

      Delete